Eichenberger brings new life to photography club

by Melissa Brisco
staff writer

This year more than ever, it seems that CHS has developed an intense passion for photography; cameras are everywhere and sites like ‘flickr’ are becoming increasingly popular.

Students in International Baccalaureate (IB), in addition to the requirement of taking higher level classes, also have to complete requirements for certain hours. One such set of hours that IB students have to complete is ‘creative hours’.

Junior IB student Audrey Eichenberger has found an inventive and productive way of completing her hours.

Junior Audrey Eichenberger shoot polaroids for Shutterbug Club. Photo by Aditi Shrikant

Eichenberger is resurrecting the CHS Shutterbugs Club. Eichenberger’s need for IB hours, passion for photography and CHS’ scheduling problems inspired her to bring back the Shutterbugs photography club.

“I knew that there were numerous students that were interested in photography and wanted to learn more about the art, so I wanted to provide [those students] the means to do so within our school,” Eichenberger said.

The club hopes to provide opportunities for students who enjoy photography to practice and receive critiques. Students will have opportunities to go out and take pictures together then to bring those pictures back to the club and share their work and receive feedback.

Round – Up yearbook advisor and photojournalism teacher Rachel Pellegrino started the club in 2006. However, last year, the club did not exist because no student stepped up to lead the club.

“This year, the club will be completely student led,” Pellegrino said. “Audrey came to me interested in getting the club started again. She will be running the club instead of me.”

The club will start by covering the basics of photography and is open to all CHS students and teachers, but there will not be lessons on how to use a camera. Shutterbugs, although open to everyone, is more geared towards students who are already photographers. The club will be more about sharing and critiquing work rather than instruction.

“We’re trying to gear the club toward what the members want to do,” Eichenberger said. “Right now we plan to have guest speakers within the industry come and speak, to learn about renowned photographers and their styles, to share our own photos with each other and take new photos, both around the school, and on a possible field trip.”

In order to be considered a member of the club, students have to attend a minimum of three meetings. Also, club members must own their own cameras, they will not be supplied. However, any variety of camera will suffice.

“I take a lot of pictures, and I’ve always kind of been interested in photography,” sophomore Grace Choe said. “The club is still a little new, but it’s been fun so far. I’m excited for the things we’ll be doing in the future.”

In addition, IB students will get creative hours for attending club meetings.

Pellegrino hopes the club will also be a way for students to learn about scholarships and contest that could be beneficial to club members.

“[The club] is a way to facilitate photography information to a group of students,” Pellegrino said.

The Shutterbugs Club meets on every second and fourth Tuesday of the month at 4p.m. in room A 107, Pellegrino’s classroom.

“So far, we’ve only had two meetings, so a lot of it has been just getting the kids’ ideas and opinions on future plans,” Eichenberger said. “We’ve [Pellegrino and I] discussed and looked at some basic types of photos through the works of famous photographers and we’re soon to start sharing our own photos, as I am in the process of making a Flickr page for the club members to post their stuff.”