UPDATE: Robbery suspect arrested after standoff with police

Gregory+Hiam+was+arrested+yesterday+on+the+charge+of+aggravated+robbery.+Photo+courtesy+Dallas+County.+

Gregory Hiam was arrested yesterday on the charge of aggravated robbery. Photo courtesy Dallas County.

Marcus Krum, Executive Sports Editor

After Tuesday’s armed robbery in the Coppell High School parking lot, the suspect was arrested following a standoff with the Coppell Police Department. The man was identified as 29-year-old Gilmer resident Gerald Hiam.

According to a press release distributed online from the Coppell Police Department, “At approximately 7:12 p.m. last night, a resident in the 100 block of Hartford Circle in Coppell called the Coppell Police Department in reference to suspicious activity. The caller stated that they believed a vehicle parked outside was possibly involved in the aggravated robbery Tuesday at the high school. Arriving Officers were able to make contact with the driver. The driver became uncooperative and would not exit his vehicle.
At one point, the individual displayed a handgun although he did not point it at the officers. The driver became erratic and showed signs of drug use. Officers were able to set up a perimeter and notified SWAT of the barricaded person. After approximately one hour the driver surrendered without incident before SWAT could be deployed. The driver is a person of interest in the aggravated robbery at the high school on April 18, 2017. The driver of the silver Nissan Sentra has been identified as Gerald Hiam, W/M [white male], age 29, from Gilmer, Texas. Coppell Police detectives are actively working the Coppell case at this time. No further information is available for this case.  Hiam is currently in the Dallas County Jail on an outstanding warrant for aggravated robbery out of Upshur County, Texas.”