• Coppell ISD is on summer break. Classes resume Aug. 15

Aslam provides inspiration to all in claiming homecoming crown

Coppell High School senior Rohina Aslam accepts her position as homecoming queen during halftime of the football game on Sept. 30. Aslam was the first homecoming queen nominee that wears a hijabi.

Amanda Hair

Amanda Hair

Farah Merchant, Staff Writer

Senior Rohina Aslam could not believe what was happening. A few weeks ago, her friends nominated her for fun, and now she was being announced 2016 Coppell High School homecoming queen.

“At first, I didn’t know because my friends got together and nominated me,” Aslam said. “I didn’t think I would actually get nominated, but then I did. I didn’t know how to feel, because I didn’t understand what it meant. After I realized that it was actually a big deal, it felt good.”

Unlike previous homecoming queens, Aslam wears a hijab – a garment worn by Muslim women outside of their family. It covers head and chest, and represents modesty, privacy and morality. It is a big part of Aslam’s life as she wears it daily.

Aslam was notified of her nomination when she received an email and was called to the commons to be congratulated. However, though Aslam was glad to have received this nomination, she was hesitant. Her friends had nominated her for fun and she did not think she would win. She began to feel self-conscious about standing out.

But when it came time to accept the nomination, she knew it was a big deal and would affect not only herself but others around her and in this school.

“[My friends] were joking around at the beginning saying that I represent four minorities: Indian, female, hijabi and I’m Muslim. That’s a pretty big reason of why I accepted the nomination,” Aslam said. “I’m going through, and I think it’s really important for other people, underclassmen, to know that it’s fine to be whoever you want, because people will accept just the way you are.”

Student Council advisor Jennifer Flores appreciates of the growing diversity and open-mindedness at CHS.

“Our population here at CHS is not what it is at other schools; we have a very diverse campus,” Flores said. “The stereotype of your typical homecoming queen is being shattered, so to speak, here especially since our homecoming court is so diverse here.”

Flores thinks a homecoming queen like Aslam can open doors for high school minorities.  

“With [Aslam] representing so many different minority groups that it’s going to open up the eyes of the students at school, and maybe make some students who thought that they couldn’t participate or be on homecoming court more comfortable to be able to step out of their comfort zone and be a little more involved on campus,” Flores said.

Senior Eric Loop, who was voted 2016 homecoming king, agrees with Flores about the positive impact of Aslam’s accomplishment.

“It sets a great example for the student body that really anyone has a chance to represent the class,” Loop said. “In the future, it really opens the door for whoever wants to be nominated. I think that they can be. It breaks down a lot of barriers, maybe unwritten rules that have been written in the past.”

To contact Farah, she can be found at [email protected] or @farahmerchant_ on Twitter.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Aslam provides inspiration to all in claiming homecoming crown”

1. Meha Srivastav on October 15th, 2016 1:43 pm

Great story and great picture!!!!! 🙂

[Reply]

2. Riaz Sultana on October 16th, 2016 11:00 am

It’s a great eye-opener, especially in the present political scenario. CHS is standing out like a lotus out of murky waters – totally serene, totally unaffected, totally pure. The principal Mr Flores has been leading the school and it’s kiddos with great attitude and path to success- my son being one great example. He was a CHS graduate. The teachers are awesome! AGREAT SCHOOL AND COMMUNITY- In a nutshell.

[Reply]

3. Debbie on October 19th, 2016 8:02 am

I love this! Very upstanding and honorable. I hope the CHS kids continue to re-invent some worn out traditions, such as the too big very expensive mums, and bringing prom back to the high school gym so people can actually afford to go.

[Reply]

• Aslam provides inspiration to all in claiming homecoming crown

News

Coppell Student Media and The Sidekick are on vacation!

CISD Board Meetings

Trustees discusses school safety in wake of tragedy at Santa Fe HS

News

Passing the torch: Griffins make their mark on the city

News

Beating cancer one step at a time

News

Students bring home medals from State VASE

News

Combination of nutritious practices, physical education makes CHS healthy zone school

News

Love for teaching drives beloved teacher to win regional science award

News

DECA brings record competitors to international competition

News

CISD Teacher of the Year: An award only for the best of the best

News

Coppell community gathers in Andy Brown East for annual Red and Black Run to Fund