Making a profit; local tea shop renovated by, featured on reality television show

American Tea & Spice Shop previously Tea2Go, was renovated for the CNBC reality show “The Profit,” which is hosted by Marcus Lemonis, on July 31 and opened again on August 31. The renovation added new furniture to make the building feel more comfortable and they also added more tea flavors to provide a bigger variety of options to choose from.

Ale Ceniceros

The seemingly overnight transformation of the Coppell tea shop, Tea2Go, to American Tea and Spice Shop has sparked curiosity among Coppell High School students, leaving them wondering: what happened to this local hang-out spot?

While students were on summer vacation, the shop began interior renovations July 31, which brought a bit of national spotlight to Coppell- being featured on CNBC’s reality television show “The Profit”.

Earlier this year, the Tea2Go franchise had been having financial problems so they applied to be helped by the “The Profit” star and CEO of the company Camping World, Marcus Lemonis, who helps small businesses transform into larger, successful companies.

The show producers began their scout for Tea2Go shops to be featured on the show in February 2016 and when they came to the Coppell location, they found that the city’s culture and environment provided a fit for what would become the first American Tea and Spice Shop.

“They really liked the Tea2Go here because of our family, and also our customers, and the energy in the store and the location,” American Tea and Spice Shop’s manager Randy Truesdell said.

Once the location for the first shop of the franchise was decided, the store closed for a month-long interior makeover which brought in whitewashed wood wallpaper, rustic decorations and shelves stocked with cookbooks and tea related items.

Since the store reopened on Aug. 21 as American Tea and Spice shop, Coppell residents have been welcomed into a general store-themed shop, still a common after school studying spot for CHS students.

Because of its proximity to the high school, some of the customers most affected by the change in style are CHS students and teachers who often buy tea in the mornings or after school.

CHS sophomore Rachel Kang was a daily Tea2Go customer and now frequently enjoys experimenting with the new flavors that the renovated shop offers.

“There’s a lot of things you can do,” Kang said. “[American Tea and Spice Shop] have new syrups and new kind of flavors.”

Similarly, CHS Algebra II teacher Reagan Richmond was a frequent Tea2Go customer and appreciates the different style and environment between the old and the new business.

“I do like the environment better, I feel like it’s more home-y in the way that they have [the interior] set up,” Richmond said.

This is the first shop of the future franchise, serving as a base for the expansion of the company and continuing to add items and flavors to its menu. Locals and Truesdell take pride in the new shop because, as Truesdell put it, “American tea and spice will always be known as founded in Coppell”.

The episode of “The Profit” featuring the transformation from Tea2Go to American Tea and Spice Shop will air this fall on CNBC.