Heritage Day event marks bittersweet remembrance

Frances Ruiz

Christina Baker Video

Devouring treat after frozen treat from the country of Australia, mastering the tedious art form of origami leisurely practiced in Japan and crossing the border to munch on tasty Mexican candies, Heritage Day event goers were able to travel the world without ever leaving the CHS commons.

Taking place on Feb. 5, Heritage Day serves as an opportunity for CHS students, as well as Coppell community members, to learn more about the diverse cultures, customs and traditions celebrated throughout the world. Started by Junior World Affairs Council (JWAC) club president Satvika Ananth, the fourth annual Heritage Day event has continued to grow and flourish throughout the years while staying true to its original intent: spreading the value and worth of diverse cultures, customs and traditions throughout the global community.

While senior club members face graduation this spring as well as the departure of club sponsor Rita Bauer in the form of retirement, hopes are placed on underclassmen to carry out the Heritage day tradition.

Senior participant Jessie King expressed feelings of inspiration and optimism when discussing next year’s event.

“This night is a bittersweet experience for all of us graduating this year as we greatly hope for the tradition to live on long after we leave,” King said.

This year’s Heritage Day event included classical and fusion forms of dance, sports demonstrations, instrumental performances, belly dancing and a comedic skit. Also present and affiliated with the event were informational booths providing cultural knowledge about countries such as Colombia, Turkey, Finland and Kazakhstan. While the type of activities within the production remained the same as previous years, the order and sequence were improved upon by focusing on the talent portion first and the informational session second.

Bauer felt that the changes made were a positive addition and enhancement to the night’s event.

“The ambiance created with the new lighting transformed the night and made the experience even better,” Bauer said. “The way we focused on the performances first and the informational sessions second was something new we tried and I think worked.”

Those in attendance were not only encouraged to venture beyond their comfort zones by learning about a variety of cultures and observing acts unique to each, but by delving into a world of new tastes and smells. In addition to the cultural information presented at each booth, a variety of snacks, desserts, meals and candies were made available to satisfy the appetites of those willing to try something spicy, tangy, sour or sweet.

Pulla, a deliciously sweet form of bread, embodies the traditions and customs of Finland, mouthwatering stuffed croissants represent the distinct country of France, zesty chips and salsa captures the culturally rich country of Mexico and boxti, a type of potato pancake, captivates the historically rich regions of Ireland.

Senior Harini Medicherla thought the food offered was one of the best parts of Heritage Day as you could experience a variety of cultures through each country’s cuisine.

“All of the food was really unique tasting and really great,” Medicherla said. “It not only allowed you to experience the cultural aspects of different countries, but there really was something for everyone.”   

While there is no telling what the future holds for Heritage Day, it seems that the culturally enriching and knowledgeable event has left a lasting impact on a number of CHS students and community members.

Original Video – More videos at TinyPic