Energy, sentimental performances set high bar for Vivacé! show choir

Vivac%C3%A9%21+Members%2C+alumni%2C+and+elementary+students+sing+and+dance+during+the+traditional+performance+of%2C+%E2%80%9CCome+Sail+Away%2C%E2%80%9D+by+Styx+on+Friday+night+in+the+CHS+auditorium.+The+Vivac%C3%A9%21+group+dressed+up+in+funny+costumes+such+as+a+toilet%2C+a+hot+dog+and+even+Jar+Jar+Binks+halfway+through+the+performance.+

Kelly Monaghan

Vivacé! Members, alumni, and elementary students sing and dance during the traditional performance of, “Come Sail Away,” by Styx on Friday night in the CHS auditorium. The Vivacé! group dressed up in funny costumes such as a toilet, a hot dog and even Jar Jar Binks halfway through the performance.

Kathryn Rudd, Staff Writer

With a group of singers needing no introduction, the Coppell High School Vivacé! show choir group took the stage with one main goal: “applause.”

With the theme of Friday’s show named after Lady Gaga’s hit song, the choir made an impression with its first song of the night, Marvin Gaye’s, “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough.”

Their upbeat interpretation mixed with its traditional show choir dresses and vests, the performance set the tone for the night.

Senior Melissa Cannon had a short but sweet transition with “Stop Wondering” by April Smith and The Great Picture Show that showed of her smooth voice and her piano skills.

Once again, the group came back on stage, sitting and standing close together and dressed in blue as their melodic performance of Enya’s “Orinoco Flow” enthralled the audience.

After the simple and tender duet of “Stay” by Rihanna with a guitar accompaniment performed by seniors Adreesh Roy and Natalie Lopez, the group  came back on the stage and continued the theme of hopeless romance with Michael Bublé’s “Everything.”

The harmony and chemistry shown on stage connected the singers and the audience during the last group singing performance.

“The performance was fantastic,” sophomore and two year member of Vivacé! Marcus Reyes said. “It was really energetic and with the crowd it gave us a good sense of confidence.

The first act came to a close with another romantic duet by senior Maha Haque and junior Ken Simmons” in their performance of Tori Kelly’s “I Was Made,” and a lively hip hop dance mashup up by a group of performers that brought the first of half of the show to an energetic end.

After a quick intermission, the second act began with even more choreography and enthusiasm.

With a scene of a school dance on stage, the group sung and danced to Outkast’s “Hey Ya!,” and it set a more upbeat mood as the second half went into full swing.

Sisters sophomore Ardi Saunders and senior Lillie Saunders sing Bruno Mars’ “Count on Me,” during the second act of the Friday night Vivacé! Performance. The choir performed their spring concert, which had the theme of Lady Gaga’s popular song and their finale, “Applause,” Friday and Saturday night in the CHS auditorium.
Kelly Monaghan

Continuing with simple yet impressive duets, senior Victoria Kennedy and junior Daniel Kim made a soulful performance of “Like I’m Gonna Lose You” by Meghan Trainor featuring John Legend and “Count on Me” by Bruno Mars sung by sisters sophomore Ardi and senior Lillie Saunders.

The standout performance of the night followed a staple of a Vivacé! concert, with Vivacé! alumni joining the stage for the sentimental tradition “Come Sail Away” by Styx.

“That song is so special to us all, it really shown through in our performance and it was fun to do it with all of the alumni,” junior Vivacé! member Ken Simmons said.

Ending the night, senior Anastacia Badillo took on the solo for the first verse of the closing song and title of the night, “Applause”.

The hypnotic and dynamic performance made a lasting impression as the talent the group rang throughout the CHS auditorium.

“My favorite part was ‘Come Sail Away’,” sophomore Christina Liu said. ”To see the seniors and alumni come together, it created a special moment.”

With memorable duets and joyful group performances, the singers in Vivacé! achieved their goal without question as hands clapped together even after the curtain closed for the last time.