Prescription drugs prove dangerous at school

Satvika Ananth
Rebecca Fowler
Staff Writers

Students have all heard about the dangers of drugs.  From school and home they have received lectures upon lectures about the physical harm and punishments that come with taking illegal substances.  However, many Coppell High School students do not realize that it’s not just the “big” drugs which are contraband, but also prescription drugs.

“Prescription drugs can be as addictive as illegal ones,” CHS nurse Beth Dorn said.  “Narcotics are prescription drugs, and they are very addictive.”

Students that need any type of prescription medicine to use at school must drop it off first at the nurse's office so they can store them. Photo by Tyler Morris.

Just because the bottle has your name on it does not mean you are allowed to carry it on campus.  According to CHS Resource Officer Craig Parrish, students can be arrested for possession of controlled substances if they have prescribed medicine on their person or in their lockers, even if they are not consuming the drugs.

“Most of the drugs we get here at school are totally illegal—like marijuana—or misused prescription drugs,” Parrish said.

In addition, it is illegal to share prescription drugs with others, even if it is for medical purposes.

Both prescription and over-the-counter drugs are permitted on campus only if they are in the hands of the nurse.  Students must bring all medication directly to the nurse before school, along with a parental consent form.  These forms, which can be picked up at the clinic, require specific information such as the amount of the drug the student should take and how often. 

“We monitor how often students take medication so they do not take too much and hurt themselves,” Dorn said.  “The policy is in place to keep them safe.”