Delatorre finds spiritual outlet through Wiccan practice

Eric Delatorre and fellow Wiccan Olivia Martin Spinner spend time practicing spells outside one afternoon. Photo courtesy of Eric Delatorre

Gabby Sahm, Staff Writer

While casting spells may conjure up images of Harry Potter, for New Tech High School senior Eric Delatorre it has been a way to help him find his spirituality. The practice has become something Delatorre participates in every day and helps him connect with his true self.

What is your definition of a Wiccan?

Being a Wiccan means that you partake in magical workings for different intents and purposes by using different methods, both physical and metaphysical, while honoring a specific deity or god/goddess in the process.

How did you become a Wiccan?

I became Wiccan because one day I became very curious about what witchcraft really was, and once I started learning about it I never stopped.

What type of Wiccan (if there are different types) are you? If there are other types, what are they?

I am a Solitary Witch, meaning that a good majority of my magical practices are done independently. Some other types of Wiccan practices are Gardnerian Wicca, Alexandrian Wicca, Seax Wicca, Dianic Wicca, Blue Star Wicca, Satanic Wicca, Georgian Wicca, Celtic Wicca, Eclectic Wicca and Green Wicca.

What is your daily routine as a Wiccan?

There is not really a set routine that Wiccans follow. The daily ‘routine’ of a Wiccan could be different for each individual who identifies themselves with the craft.

Do you have any other friends that are Wiccans? How did you meet them?

I do have other friends that are Wiccans. I shop at Earthbound very frequently and I talked to an employee about Wicca and discovered we both participate in the craft. He is a Solitary Pagan.

How do people react when you tell them you are a Wiccan?

Everyone reacts differently. Typically, people have negative opinions/reactions towards Wicca, mainly because they either do not understand it or are super religious.

Do you use magic spells? If so, what are they? What do they do/mean?

Yes, I do. There are thousands of Wiccan spells that exist, and each type of spell provides the necessary materials and results for the intent desired by the spell caster. When casting a spell or trying to figure out which spell would allow for the greatest benefit, you must keep in mind what you are trying to accomplish.

What have been some benefits of becoming a Wiccan? What have been some struggles?

The major benefits of being Wiccan have been spiritual above physical. Wicca is a useful vessel that allows you to enhance your spirituality in many different ways that you can use to your advantage.

What are some misconceptions people have about wiccans?

‘Wiccans worship Satan.” – We do not acknowledge Christian beliefs, therefore God and the Devil are irrelevant.

‘Wiccans do blood rituals and sacrifice things.” – We do not ever kill living things, and ceremonies hardly ever involve blood.

‘All magic is black magic or dark magic with the intent of harm or to cause chaos.” – This is the most annoying misconception. Wiccans abide by a rede [meaning a counsel or advice] in which it essentially states: ‘An ye harm none, Do what ye will.’ This means that we can do whatever we want in the craft, but do not ever do anything to cause harm to anyone or anything.

What tips do you have for anyone thinking of becoming a Wiccan?

If you want to participate in the craft, you must do tons of research in order to make sure you fully understand what you are doing, who or what you want to worship or appreciate, and to ensure you are able to choose the right ceremonies, spells, rituals or practices in order to achieve what you want to accomplish or what you are desiring. You also need to know what materials you need to collect and how to use them. You become more powerful with more experience so it is important to stay true to the religion.