GlobalPulse: Weekly Update

By Angela Almeida
Opinions Editor

United States: President Barack Obama will make his State of the Union address tonight. He plans to tackle health care worries and appease Americans concerns about the recession. According to a number of POLITICO analysts, however, this speech could actually hurt the president’s approval rating, given what the addresses have done to president’s in the past. It will air at 8 p.m. ET/7 p.m. Central.

Middle East: Pakistan is being profiled full force by VICE for its booming gun black market. In the tribal areas of Pakistan, deemed “the most dangerous place in the world”, millions of guns and ammunition are allegedly being stowed away and bought by the Pakistani army.

Asia: China is reacting to the astronomical profit of James Cameron’s AVATAR by removing the movie from all 2-D versions in the country. Thus, AVATAR will only be available to 1/10 of the theatres in China. Apparently, the film is superseding the profit of China’s domestically-produced biopic about Confucious. Whatever the reason, AVATAR is unfortunately dominating much of the world’s media market.

Caribbean: Haiti continues to fester in the horror of the earthquake. About 45% of Haiti’s population is children, most of which are presently orphaned or deceased.

For more current events visit:

http://www.cnn.com/

or

http://www.foxnews.com/