Time person of the year nominations announced

TNS
Russian President Vladimir Putin looks on during the G20 Leaders’ Summit at the Regnum Carya Hotel Convention Centre in Antalya, Turkey, on Sunday, Nov. 15, 2015. (Mikhail Metzel/TASS/Abaca Press/TNS)

By Emma Cummins

Editorial Page Editor

Russian President Vladimir Putin looks on during the G20 Leaders' Summit at the Regnum Carya Hotel Convention Centre in Antalya, Turkey, on Sunday, Nov. 15, 2015. (Mikhail Metzel/TASS/Abaca Press/TNS)

This week, TIME published its nominees for the 2015 Person of the Year. The winner will be announced next Wednesday on NBC’s TODAY show. It is important to remember that the person of the year is not meant to be good or bad, but someone who has made an impact on the world.

The list of nominees follows:

Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi:

Leader of the ISIS caliphate, Al-Baghdadi can claim responsibility for the attacks in Tunisia, France and terrorizing parts of the Middle East. While he may be hated universally, his impact on the world is undeniable. I think it is always valuable to understand the impact and importance of leaders, especially egregious ones, rather than brush over them. TIME does just that.

Caitlyn Jenner:

Formerly Bruce Jenner, Jenner’s gender change in June made headlines for weeks. Her gender and name change have raised discussion about transgender issues, but many were perplexed as to why Jenner should receive so many plaudits. While many may say it took courage and bravery to make such a radical change, her impact on the world seems a bit lacking. Other than transgenderism becoming more popular and socially acceptable, does Jenner bring anything to the table other than her being transgender and opening up “discussion”? I would say no, rather her “journey” was all voluntary and its inspiring qualities have been exaggerated. Jenner is a fish out of water on this list.

Black Lives Matter Activists:

I would have to agree with TIME on this one. These activists, whether lawful or not, have brought the words “police brutality” to almost everyone’s lips in the United States. Making headlines for over a year, the issues of race relations and police brutality, whether warranted or not, have become ubiquitous in the United States.

Travis Kalanick:

The creator of Uber, Kalanick’s business acumen and entrepreneurship has changed the way people view transportation. Uber provides fast, safe and cheaper service to anyone, and anyone can provide the transportation. Kalanick definitely deserves a spot on this list.

Angela Merkel:

The chancellor of Germany, research scientist and the first woman to hold the office of chancellor, Angela Merkel has considerable political power. Many call her the unofficial leader of the European Union. Germany is flourishing economically, and at such a time when Europe is being plagued by economic issues, it has remained a strong country. Merkel is an undeniable candidate for the person of the year.

Vladimir Putin:

President of Russia, Putin has been involved in global politics for some time. His flippant attitude toward superpowers such as the US has shown him to be a force to be contended with, and Russia’s involvement in Ukraine has demonstrated his desire for power. Putin makes the list.

Hassan Rouhani:

The president of Iran, Rouhani is a controversial character. Iran has been notorious for its hatred towards America, and many have called foul on the American-Iran nuclear deal. Rouhani may be a corrupt leader, but he is a powerful one. Although he may not make headlines every day, Iran and its nuclear arsenal have caused global ripples.

Donald Trump:

Last and some may hope least, Trump, although originally a powerful businessman, has increased his influence by running for president. Surprisingly, he is the most successful GOP candidate, and his outrageous and blunt remarks have garnered more attention than one would initially expect. But, his influence is undeniable. Even though he may be a buffoon, he is a powerful one.