Twinning is winning, most of the time

Avery Davis
@avery2018

Many times it is hard for people to think of twins separately. They are often grouped together; when you think of one, you automatically think of the other.

Although this connection is not usually intentional, it can make it more difficult for twins to find their sense of individuality, and may cause them to think of themselves as less unique because of it.

Coppell High School sophomores Robyn Li and Megan Li are identical twins. The girls’ personalities are both very different. Megan is more talkative and girly while Robyn is more reserved and direct. A physical distinguishing feature between them is that Megan has a mole on the top of her head while Robyn does not. Photo by Jennifer Su.

“[People compare me to my twin] all the time, so I’m sort of numb to it at this point, but when I really think about it it actually bothers me a little,” Coppell High School sophomore Sabrina Boccalandro said. “I always wish that when people see me they wouldn’t think about my twin or think ‘hey, it’s one of the twins.’ I wish they would just see me.”

Sabrina is an identical twin to sister and CHS sophomore Camila Boccalandro. For many people, it can be difficult to tell them apart by appearance – at least until you get to know each of them better. The more you learn about their individual personalities, the more different they seem.

“[Identical] twins aren’t as alike as people think; the furthest it goes is our looks,” Sabrina said. “Sometimes people get the illusion that we are similar in personality but that’s usually only because we spend all of our time together, so we are bound to like the same foods, use the same mannerisms, or have similar laughs. But if you get to know us, you can tell we are instinctually different people.”

Both girls take the Dance elective at school, although they aren’t in the same period. Their teacher for the class, Julie Stralow, didn’t realize at first that she was seeing two different people.

“Camila’s in third period, and I have Sabrina in my sixth period,” Stralow said. “I know some people from both classes, but there are 60 kids in each of those periods alone. So we don’t really know each kid as well. I had no idea they were twins at first, and I just kept seeing this girl and I couldn’t figure out how this girl seemed to be everywhere, in both periods. That took me a couple of weeks to figure out. They are both very sweet, but if they were standing side by side I wouldn’t be able to tell them apart.”

Sabrina and Camila both know how difficult it can be to find a distinctness in a world of duplicated looks. Over time, they’ve developed different interests and senses of style. According to Sabrina, they “dress differently even though [they] share most of their clothes.” Camila goes for a more “simplistic look,” while Sabrina is a little more “bohemian.”

Having different tastes in clothes helps to set them apart, but it can still be difficult for twins to feel as if others see them as two different people.

“Having a twin definitely has made me try to find my own individuality,” Camila said. “People always categorize us as the same person when we are really completely different people who just happen to look the same. Even though we were born together and live together doesn’t mean we’re the same person. If you wouldn’t compare two other people then you shouldn’t compare twins in general.”

Sabrina and Camila agree that being twins can make it hard to find their own sense of identity when so many people can not think of them separately.

“A lot of people see [me as] ‘the other half’ or ‘that twin girl’ or ‘Camila’s sister,’” Sabrina said. “We both wish when someone looked at us we weren’t immediately associated with each other in their heads.”

For fraternal twins and CHS sophomores Sydney and Maddie Clifton, it is the opposite case. When you first meet them they seem to be nothing alike in appearance or personality. However, if you know them well, similarities become apparent.

“Usually [someone comparing us] is correct because we are alike in so many ways, especially in the way we think,” Maddie said.

They even share similar interests, giving them lots of ways to connect with each other on an emotional level.

“Our friends are almost completely the same and we pretty much do the exact same things: swimming, Netflix, listening to the same artists, etc.,” Sydney said. “We’re completely opposite in appearances and we’re completely different people, but we are also very much the same in the sense of being in tune to each other’s feelings and thoughts.”

Each set of twins agrees, however, that having someone so easily comparable sets the stage for higher degrees of sisterly competition.

“I love [being a twin], but it would also be nice to just not worry about being compared to one another’s achievements in everything we do such as grades, sports, looks, who has more money and so on,” Sydney said.

With all four girls being in similar friend groups as their siblings, it is sometimes difficult to differentiate between people liking them as a person or liking them for the uniqueness of being a twin.

“Sometimes we’re excluded from intimate things like hangouts, vacations with friends or concerts because bringing along two people is just too much,” Sabrina said. “Ever since I was little, I’ve [felt that] the only reason people liked me was because they thought it was fascinating we were twins. I know now that not everyone is like that; after they get to know me, they like me for me.”

However, being a twin has its benefits, especially since, according to Sydney, having a twin “makes everything two times as fun.”

“[Sabrina is my] built-in partner for volleyball,” Camila said.

Sabrina agrees, explaining additional elements that help to make having a twin seem worth it.

“My wardrobe is twice the normal size, I never have to walk into a function awkwardly alone, she drives me around, and she is always there when I need to rant,” Sabrina said. “It [may seem] pretty shallow, but it’s funny.”

Most importantly, twins are there for each other when they need it the most.

“We get each other and I think having someone to share your problems, insecurities, laughs and memories with is something I’ll always be grateful to have,” Sydney said.

In the sometimes difficult world of high school, having someone permanently by your side can be extremely helpful.

“We’re both really good at being ourselves, and when we’re together it makes us even better,” Maddie said. “With being a twin, I always have someone there for me. Sydney’s always there to make me laugh or listen to my bad jokes and just be a friend all the time. I don’t know what I would do if I weren’t a twin- it’s who I am.”

1