Adele releases long awaited album “25”

By Farah Merchant
@farahmerchant_

Though many artists seem to be leaving the music industry, ready to take a break, Adele is back better than ever. Adele’s debut single, “Hello” on her album 25 broke records that grabbed the attention of many.

The album dropped Nov. 20 and in the United States sold 2.3 million copies in three days, and is continuing to soar through the roofs. Adele’s soothing and rich voice has pierced its way into the hearts of many, even bringing some to tears. Though every single song on the album was mind-blowing, the four reviewed were, in my opinion, are the best.

The album cover for Adele's '25.' (Photo courtesy Amazon)
The album cover for Adele’s ’25.’ (Photo courtesy Amazon)

Hello

“Hello” is sweeping the nation, allowing fans to squeal as they realize Adele is back. Though the release of the song played a positive message, the song itself was drastically different. The slow piano mixed with Adele’s voice, brings a dark feeling which reaches the pit of the listener’s heart. Adele’s slow, steady voice builds up in “Hello” making it feel as if we are trapped, trying to speak yet talking to no one.

“Hello” has a message, much like her other songs, that cannot be deciphered solely from her words. The slow beat and elongated lyrics make it seem like you are on the phone, “the other side,” trying to communicate yet failing. Kind of making you feel lost and angry while allowing you to yell all you want. “Hello” touches the heart and body, bringing out Adele’s voice like no other song. The high notes soar, allowing the listener to close their eyes and slowly indulge in the beautiful song.

When We Were Young

The slow beat of the drums allows one to close their eyes and get lost in the deep tempo until Adele’s voice emerges, slowly building up until the chorus. Her voice gets lost, longing the reminiscent past she once had with her lover, remembering when they were young. Her voice rises with the tempo making her sound like a lost girl wanting more than she could ever have, pulling on the heartstrings of the listener. Unlike her other songs, her range is not high or even varied, her voice is constant, allowing the listener to believe that she was steady and madly in love. “When We Were Young” allows us to imagine snapshots of Adele and her lover, and their bittersweet past, even though it is not directly stated.

Water Under the Bridge

“Water Under the Bridge” is unique from the first beat. The song is upbeat and has no resemblance to any of Adele’s past songs. In “Water Under the Bridge,” Adele accepts that she is not perfect and that the relationship between her and her lover, though seems like it should continue moving, could come to an end. This song is not a justification to the man, begging him to stay by Adele, instead it seems like a form of closure essentially saying, “Yeah I want you in my life. I think our relationship could prosper, but if you want to leave just let me down slowly.”

Million Years Ago

Adele’s “Million Years Ago” is filled with regret. The song starts out with a slow, soft strumming guitar, allowing the listener to hope for an upbeat song while still reminiscing on the past. But Adele gives listeners the opposite. The song begins with Adele’s deep and rich voice making it seem like she is talking to herself before growing, allowing the listener to feel her anger and frustration. I could slowly picture Adele closing her fist and banging the door – yelling, wishing, sorrow filling her body as she screamed with regret. But the most heart-breaking moment was when she sang the lyrics “A million years ago.” This song drowns the listener’s body in sorrow, allowing them to imagine that the regret has been building up for ample time.

When I first heard Adele’s album, these four songs stuck out to me the most. They were beautiful and relatable, while portraying completely different ideas. These songs, though the others just as miraculous, made me close my eyes, drop everything and melt into the melody, all while rendering different forms of emotion. Adele’s beautiful voice captured my heart and I am glad she is back.

Adele’s album is not on spotify sadly, but you can buy in on iTunes. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/25/id1051394208.