Chamber of commerce luncheon honors local veterans

Local veterans and their families attend the annual Coppell chamber of commerce veteran’s luncheon on Nov. 21. Veterans were provided lunch and recognized for their service. Photo by Mallorie Munoz.

By Mallorie Munoz
Managing Editor
@munoz_mallorie

“It is an honor to be recognized as a veteran,” Parker University student of the year Jamie Kinlin said. “As a student and especially as a female. It’s really an honor to represent the lady veterans.”

The monthly Coppell Chamber of Commerce luncheon was held on Friday afternoon at Hackberry Creek Country Club. It was held in recognition of veterans in Coppell. The veteran’s lunch is sponsored annually by local businesses in Coppell including Kwik Kar and Elite Care.

Kinlin, along with 30 other veterans, was recognized during the ceremony. The luncheon began with the Coppell fire department honor guard posting the flags and pledging alliance. New Tech High @ Coppell senior Lilli Saunders performed the national anthem.

Retired Lt. Gen.l and keynote speaker Richard Lynch told stories of his time in service and briefly outlined the contents of his book, “Adapt Or Die”.

Lynch has served in the army for 35 years and continues to serve the veteran community. Lynch described his struggle encountering public apathy towards veterans.

“This event means the world to me. When I came back from Vietnam, nobody cared about us,”  Vietnam war veteran Clarence Moore said. “I am proud of the fact that I served my country in an ugly and forgotten war.”

This was Moore’s second time to attend the luncheon. Many of the attendees were returning to the luncheon after being recognized in years past.

The event ended with a roll call of 30 veterans, taking the time to recognize and applaud everyone.

“To understand how important veterans are, go join the military,” Moore said. “Then you will understand.”