First ever Coppell Arts Festival to bring artistic flare to Old Town Coppell

Photo courtesy of Coppell Arts Council.

By Sloane Samberson
Managing Editor
@SloaneSamberson

As the temperature drops, you will find Coppellians spending less time trying to beat the heat indoors and more time making the most of this fleeting fall season outdoors. And there’s no better way to enjoy the cooler weather than with an outdoor festival, deep in the heart of Coppell.

On Saturday, the Coppell Arts Council will hold the 2015 Coppell Arts Festival at the Square in Old Town Coppell from 2-6 p.m. The festival will display local artists from the genres of art, performing arts, fine arts, theatre, sculpture and music.

“We will have close to 30 artists who will have ‘booths’,” Coppell Arts Council president Wheelice Wilson said. “They will exhibit their work. There will [also] be performances by local school children, and other singers and musicians, [as well as] some interactive art activities for children.”

Local restaurants, such as the Local Diner, will be selling food and drinks. There will also be a snow cone truck for the kiddos and young at heart.

There is no fee to enter the event, but items from artists will be available for purchase. Cash payment is preferred.

“The festival is not so much to sell artwork as it is to exhibit it,” Wilson said. “But there will be some who are selling things.”

Aside from bringing the community together, the Coppell Arts and Music Festival has other hopes.

“We are attempting to raise awareness of the many artists who live in Coppell,” Wilson said. “The performing arts, such as the Coppell Community Chorale and Theatre Coppell already have a presence in our community, but there are a host of other kinds of art that are not so well known.  We hope to make residents more aware of what we have, and we hope that this festival may become an annual event.”