Coppell High School Astronomy “Star Party”

Coppell High School Senior Daniel Difrancesco and his team teach Earth and Space Science students about the telescope the science department has named ‘the Beast’ at the star party on Wednesday in the CHS parking lot. “It’s a reflector telescope making it more precise because of all of the mirrors inside of it,” Difrancesco said. Photo by Alexandra Dalton.
Coppell High School Senior David Kim looks through Angela Barnes’ reflector telescope named Beast to view the moon during the star party on Wednesday night in the CHS parking lot. “Although it’s only a sliver, you can see all of the textures on the moon,” Kim said. “It’s completely insane.” Photo by Alexandra Dalton.
 Coppell High School Senior Jessica Melville explains the scale of the universe to Angela Barnes’ AP Earth and Space Science students on Wednesday night at the star party in the CHS parking lot. Using a tennis ball and a shirt button, she explains our size compared to the sun. Photo by Alexandra Dalton.

Coppell High School Seniors Austin Sharky and Caleb Phipps present the scale of the Milky Way with a watermelon for the sun and a tangerine for the moon during the star party on Wednesday night in the CHS parking lot. “The earth can fit into the sun 1.3 million times,” Phipps said. “Just imagine how large the largest star in our galaxy [Canis Majoris] is.” Photo by Alexandra Dalton.