• On Tuesday, Coppell Arts Center hosts State of Education organized by the Coppell Chamber of Commerce from 8:30-10 a.m.
  • On Wednesday, Coppell Arts Center hosts May Paint & Sip: Hummingbird at 6 p.m.
  • On Saturday, Town Center Plaza hosts Celebrate Cozby Library from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Derry defies limitations, establishes culinary success

Chef+Tiffany+Derry+answers+a+question+regarding+her+origin+in+cooking.+On+Monday%2C+chef+Tiffany+Derry+gave+a+speech+about+her+experience+in+the+culinary+arts+at+the+CHS+Lecture+Hall.+
Sanghika Pallela
Chef Tiffany Derry answers a question regarding her origin in cooking. On Monday, chef Tiffany Derry gave a speech about her experience in the culinary arts at the CHS Lecture Hall.

On Monday, chef Tiffany Derry spoke to students at Coppell High School in the Lecture Hall about her experience and success in culinary business.

Derry is an American celebrity chef and restaurateur, appearing on various cooking shows and managing several restaurants. She is from Beaumont, Texas, and graduated from the Art Institute of Houston with a degree in culinary.

She started her career as a server at the International House of Pancakes, where she was restricted from the kitchen due to her gender. Despite this, she was able to convince the workers of her capability, gaining acceptance into the kitchen where she developed her skill in cooking. At age 16, Derry became a manager at IHOP.

“You have to focus on the things that’s important because at the end of the day, whatever it is you want to do, you have to be the best at it,” Derry said. “You cannot be mediocre with anything if you truly want it.”

Through Derry’s hard work and determination, she currently owns the restaurants Roots Southern Table and Roots Chicken Shaks. She has also been involved in the TV shows “Master Chef” and “The Great American Recipe.”

Derry encouraged Coppell students to pursue their goals and to focus on their plans for the future.

“I learned that with hard work and determination, she was always able to bid her opponents,” Coppell senior Akhil Venkata said.

Through her steadfast persistence, Derry’s restaurant Roots Southern Table was able to receive a review from The New York Times, claiming a spot on The Restaurant List 2021, a collection of Top 50 restaurants in America.

Derry’s story inspired the audience in taking initiative and leadership.

“It was really cool that she spoke about what she was looking for when she was hiring someone,” CHS9 English I teacher Debra Sartin said. “That is super applicable for students at CHS, just knowing that you must have drive and do what you say you are going to do.”

Students in the audience were able to obtain crucial insight into the realm of business, and what it takes to succeed.

“You’ve got to believe in yourself because if you don’t, how are you expecting others to believe?” Derry said. “It has to start with you. You make the plan.”

Follow @katiegpark and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter