Teen Nite to offer unique entertainment for high schoolers during Spring Break

By Summer Crawford

News Editor

@summercrawfordd

Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 5.49.30 PM
The Coppell William T. Cozby Library is continuing its teen programs with Teen Nite on March 12 for all high school students. Photo by Summer Crawford.

For many students, the William T. Cozby Public Library is a place for quiet and intense studying, discovering a new favorite book or working on group projects. For a few students, the library is an opportunity to connect the Coppell community in more ways than just books.

Created in December 2014, the League of Extraordinary Teens is a select group of high school students who want to earn community service hours and participate in library programs. As a part of their duties, they decided to establish fun events for teens, one of which being the upcoming Teen Nite on March 12 at 6:30 p.m.

“[Teen Nite was] created by the League of Extraordinary Teens, which was a group we had applications for in the fall and started in January,” librarian Sarah Silverthorne said. “It is kind of a group of teens helping us plan programs, and they planned this program.”

Teen Nite will feature the movie Back to the Future for their 80’s theme, and there will be snacks, games and crafts for any high school student in Coppell. Silverthorne believes that events like these give the teens in the community a way to bond outside of school.

“It is a chance for the league to create programs in the library, just for high school kids, to have their own [thing] and get together and get to know each other,” Silverthorne said. “A great [way] for kids to get to know the library. It is kind of a smaller group, kids that might not necessarily meet each other [anywhere else]. Especially [events] like [Teen Nite] because it was created by the teens.”

As a result of past events like Teen Nite being successful, the League will continue hosting socials through May, with the next two being April 9 and May 7. For further details about Teen Nite, feel free to email [email protected], call 972-304-3658 or ask for more information at the Information Desk.