Freshmen take different course registration route, choose favored career courses

Course registration forms were to be filled out and turned in. Photo by Pranathi Chitta.

By Pranathi Chitta
@prannydacheetah

Course registration for freshmen this year might seem a little different than before. Rather than graduating on the regular 4×4 plan for all current Coppell High School sophomores, junior and seniors, freshmen will be graduating on the endorsement plan.

Although all students have to graduate with the same credits, freshmen will also incorporate their elective majors. The freshmen have already chose what endorsement they like this year, but also have the chance to change it for their sophomore year.

“As I encourage all my freshmen, just find something you like to do and run with it,” CHS freshmen counselor Jason Byrd

KCBY senior asks the freshmen visiting each EMAC academy classroom if they have any questions and what they want to learn more about. The freshmen are learning about each academy so they know what type of job they want to go into. Photo by Aubrie Sisk.

said.

Freshmen will choose endorsements based on what career they are interested in the future.

“If [freshmen] have the idea of what they want to do in the future,” public service endorsement teacher Becky Richards said. “[The endorsements] really prepares them for it.”

If freshmen are still undecided on what they want to do in the future, they can choose the multidisciplinary endorsement, which is similar to the fine arts endorsement.

“I think the endorsements are a good Idea. It helps you plan out your future in the school and choose what classes you can take,” freshman Zohar Estrada said. “My favorite endorsement is fine arts. The others are good as well though.”

Each endorsement has its requirements, but freshmen do not necessarily need to be in the specific endorsement in order to take the class. In freshmen year, students must take an introductory class for their specific endorsement, of which in their sophomore year they will take the next level of that class.

“This year I choose fine arts,” Estrada said. “And I am not planning on switching endorsements because I am seriously in love with it.”