Anticipation rises, Hunger Games trilogy returns

Graphic+by+Josh+Martin.+
Graphic by Josh Martin.

By Stephanie Alexander
entertainment editor
@stephanierose2u

Graphic by Josh Martin.
Graphic by Josh Martin.

The story line that has got everyone burning is coming back to the big screen Nov. 21, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1

“Some franchises like this fail is because they don’t stay true enough to the book, but Hunger Games does a really good job with that and having incredible actors,” Coppell High School senior Bobby Manning said. “It’s so cool to see the process from just books and rumors of the movies, and just seeing it develop into this huge franchise.”

Manning is an avid reader and ultimate “The Hunger Games” fan. His favorite from the trilogy is “Catching Fire”.

“I didn’t think it’d be possible for them to top the first movie but they did,” Manning said. “Beautiful cinematography, amazing graphics and, of course, a beautiful Jennifer Lawrence. I hope to be blown away again by Francis Lawrence’s [director] work in the next film.”

Manning loves the different components author Suzanne Collins puts in the novels and how they are represented in the films.

“The stories aren’t just action packed, there are a lot of emotions playing into it,” Manning said. “Collins hits on post-traumatic stress disorder in the second book with Peeta and Katniss being thrown back into the arena after they survived the first games.  It pushes literary boundaries.”

Manning is eager for the release of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1, but cannot wait another year Part 2.

“I hate cliff hangers, I wish they were just releasing Mockingjay in one full movie,” Manning said. “I don’t know if I can wait a whole other year, but they did terrific with the other two films, why end on a bad note?”

For junior Emma Ginnell, the elements surrounding the franchise enhance the whole experience.

“I am a very music oriented person so soundtracks definitely are a make it or break it aspect for me,” Ginnell said.

Indie pop singer Lorde dropped a single for the upcoming film titled “Yellow Flicker Beat”.

“Since the song is out, it reminds you how close the movie is to coming out, it’s like a little taste of what is to come,” Ginnell said. “Just by listening to the lyrics you can see how they represent Mockingjay. My expectations are definitely high.”

Senior Leah Witham has a fascination with Katniss Everdeen and “The Hunger Games”. She also preordered premiere tickets for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1.

“I’ve read each of the books six times and I’ve seen the movie plenty of times I probably have it memorized. My brother and I bought our movie tickets the minute we could, we have gone to every midnight premiere together,” Witham said. “It’s kind of embarrassing but I sometimes think I am Katniss, especially when I wear my combat boots.”

Witham believes that Katniss is fantastic role model for young fans and girls worldwide.

“Usually you see in a lot of books and movies that the main boy is the protagonist, it is refreshing that Katniss is the hero on top,” Witham said. “Katniss is so fierce and she’s so strong physically and mentally. She’s so creative in her thoughts and problem solving, I love how strong she is and how motherly she is too.”

Witham even dressed up as the earthy heroine for Halloween in 2012.

“My brother made me a bow and arrow holster out of a long paper towel roll and he made foil arrows and hot glued everything and it was like my little prop for the night,” Witham said. “My mom bought me the Mockingjay pin and gave me her combat boots and green jacket to complete the look, I love Katniss’ earthy, fierce style.”

“The Hunger Games” is somewhat of a surprising liking for Witham.

“I am usually not into stuff like that is at all, fighting to the death really is not my cup of tea,” Witham said. “But it’s all something I’m not. I’m very gentle and not as fierce as Katniss. I admire the story its creative and entertaining and it seems so far from normal life.”

Senior Cole Cloutier relates to the series in a different way.

“I have this weird fascination with dystopian societies, I like the idea of Panem and how it is like post-world destruction trying to become civilized again,” Cloutier said. “It relates to us in a way to think like what if I was in the character’s shoes, what would you do in those situations. Obviously, we don’t have an actual hunger games and fight to the death but it shows the other side of humanity.”