Youth retreat marks the start of a new beginning

By Aisha Espinosa
@aishaespinosa1

The Sidekick staff writer Aisha Espinosa, far left, joins her discussion group for one last at the YFL New Beginnings retreat in Duncanville as it ended on Oct. 26. The weekend proved to be a powerful, spiritual experience for Espinosa. Photo courtesy of  Xena Bui.
The Sidekick staff writer Aisha Espinosa, far left, joins her discussion group for one last at the YFL New Beginnings retreat in Duncanville as it ended on Oct. 26. The weekend proved to be a powerful, spiritual experience for Espinosa. Photo courtesy of Xena Bui.

I have always believed that certain events could change the course of a life. Over weeks, months or a year, things that happen to us on a daily basis can alter our lives forever.

I have seen this happen firsthand – my experiences in Europe, my time at Texas Christian University over the summer.

But those happened over time. I spent three weeks in Europe forging friendships with girls from all across Texas, and two weeks at TCU getting to know my fellow journalism “campers.”

It never occurred to me that my life could change in a matter of three days, until it did.

Last Friday, I gave up my phone and my watch for an unplugged weekend at a camp in
Duncanville. Centered around faith and fellowship, the Couples for Christ – Youth for Family and Life retreat was one meant to change lives.

The theme for the weekend was “New Beginnings”, a theme more fitting than I could have imagined.

Over the weekend, I found several things I had not known I was missing – faith, friendship and a desire to spread the word.

My faith has always been something I have gone along with, gone through the motions with.  I went to my religious education classes in elementary school, the youth group for middle school, and the high school ministry once I started freshman year of high school. I was confirmed into the Catholic faith at the end of freshman year,  and volunteer weekly at St. Ann Catholic Parish to help teach Sunday school.

I thought I was doing the right thing, until I realized I was just going through the motions – practicing my faith without living it.

The friendships I found over the weekend surprised me – there was no judgement, no different attitude toward me because I was new, or lived in a different area. There was an overwhelming sense of belonging that I have only found a few times, and never as strong as at the YFL retreat.

But the most important thing I took from this camp is inspiration. It was something that I never really knew I was lacking, until I saw all the people devoted to strengthening their faith.

I saw the teen leaders directing the camp, and one of my immediate thoughts was that I wanted to be doing the same thing, months or years down the road.

The YFL retreat was my new beginning at being a more devoted person toward my religion.

It taught me that not all religious group gatherings have to be people of the same religion, and that the people who you open up to the most are not always the ones you have known for your entire life.

It taught me that life does not always go according to plan, and that there is something – someone – making sure I end up exactly where I need to be.