Celebrating an unconventional Christmas

While Christmas may be one of the most popular holidays in America, there are many who dont celebrate it. The Sidekick staff writer Wendy Le shares her experience not celebrating Christmas and how she spends her time instead.

Josh Campbell

While Christmas may be one of the most popular holidays in America, there are many who don’t celebrate it. The Sidekick staff writer Wendy Le shares her experience not celebrating Christmas and how she spends her time instead.

Wendy Le, Staff Writer

Oh Christmas, the so-called “best time of the year.” For most people, this holiday means celebrating by the Christmas tree with a lit fireplace, unwrapping presents, surrounded by their loved ones. 

For me, it is just another day. Similar to Thanksgiving, I avoid this holiday, pretending it doesn’t exist. But how could you avoid one of the most popular holidays in America

As the daughter of atheist immigrant parents, celebrating Christmas was never a part of my wishlist. Growing up, I would sit in silence, drowned in envy with nothing to share while my friends go on about all the new items they’ve received from Santa such as shiny new phones, clothing, shoes or cool new toys. 

While other families put up their festive decorations, Christmas trees and lights with snowmen on their front porches, the interior and exterior of my home remain constant throughout the year. Because of this, I’ve always felt excluded during this holiday, as I do not relate to it like most. The holiday festivities are reminders of how I do not fit in with my peers. 

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve learned to embrace this celebration rather than ignoring it completely. End of the school semester Christmas parties, along with gift exchanges or Secret Santa with friends allow me to participate in the holiday cheer that I lack at home. The time off from school gives me time to catch up with activities I’ve been holding off on. On the day of, I spend my time occupying myself with different activities to cope with the loneliness of Christmas day. 

Here are top five things I’ve done and thoroughly enjoy, and if you don’t celebrate this day like me, then perhaps you might as well:

1. Give your room a (likely well needed) deep clean.
  2. Have a movie marathon with classic hallmark Christmas movies such as: Home Alone (1990), The Grinch (2018), A Christmas Prince (2017), Holidate (2020), The Princess Switch (2018), and Klaus (2019) with popcorn. 
  3. Relax and enjoy that book you’ve been dying to read but never had the time to along with some hot cocoa.
  4. Meditate and reflect on your past year (did you enjoy it, ways to improve yourself for the upcoming new year and of course, resolutions for the next year).
  5. Bake some delicious chocolate chip cookies to share with family and friends.

Instead of trying to avoid this inevitable festivity, appreciate it. There are no rules  regarding how to celebrate Christmas, so do it in a way you too can experience holiday cheer. Rather than spending it like everyone else, use this time to do something for yourself whether that means having a “traditional” Christmas or just spending this time enjoying your company. 

For some, who are able to simultaneously celebrate this holiday and don’t at the same time, this is a reminder that there’s no norm for how Christmas should be spent – it is normal to celebrate however you wish to or not celebrate it at all, both are perfectly justified.

Follow @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.