Karmany Yoga center brings over 1,600 people to new location

Yoga+class+attendees+breathe+and+stretch+before+morning+class+on+Oct.+25.+Photo+by+Stephanie+Alexander.+
Yoga class attendees breathe and stretch before morning class on Oct. 25. Photo by Stephanie Alexander.

By Pranathi Chitta
staff writer
@prannydacheetah

After opening two branches in Dallas and Fort Worth, the Karmany Yoga Center is now open in Coppell. The new center took over an existing studio in May and developed over the summer to become Karmany Yoga.

“I’m happy that we’re expanding,” Karmany Yoga owner Audrey Woods said.

Woods has been practicing yoga for 16 years. A couple years ago, Woods went to California and visited Brian Kest’s yoga studio. The yoga studio not only taught Woods yoga, but she also learned a new way of managing Karmany Yoga.

“At [Brian Kest’s] studio, a method called revenue sharing was used where no membership is needed and people who come pay what they can afford,” Woods said.

Although membership is not needed, there have been 1,600 overall who have attended classes since the opening of the studio.

“We use a lot of social media to publish what’s going on at the studio,” Woods said.

The classes at the studio are taught by seven teachers, many of whom have a yoga background of 10 years.

“Shortly after completing my yoga training, I became a yoga teacher,” yoga instructor Leanne Hutcherson said. “It was the best career choice of my life.”

Hutcherson discovered yoga about 15 years ago and fell in love with it. Since then, she has not only learned a plethora of yoga skills, but has also been teaching it for 12 years.

“With my background in ballet, health and wellness, it just felt amazing to integrate breath with movement in yoga class,” Hutcherson said. “Then I was inspired to start teaching.”

Before teaching at Karmany Yoga, Hutcherson taught at Castle Hills Yoga, Krama Yoga and Lifetime Fitness in Flower Mound.

“One of my yogi friends told me about the newest location coming to Coppell,” Hutcherson said. “So I contacted them, and after meeting up with the Karmany team, things began to transpire.”

Hutcherson teaches Power Flow, Slow Flow and Meditation classes and workshops. The Power Flow classes try to achieve strength and flexibility through flowing poses and sequences with more balance and concentration. The Slow Flow class is designed for slower movements to increase flexibility and range of motion.

“I enjoy the smaller, more intimate rooms and the teachers have a balance of spiritual, emotional and physical features which is hard to find,” Karmany Yoga attendee Brenda Lizzi said.

The revenue sharing has also proved a success with Hutcherson and Lizzi.

“I think this is the best idea ever for the client and the teacher,” Lizzi said. “It really embraces what yoga is about and the

Yoga class attendees wait for instruction before morning class on Oct. 25. Photo by Stephanie Alexander
Yoga class attendees wait for instruction before morning class on Oct. 25. Photo by Stephanie Alexander.

teachers are truly appreciated.”

Lizzi began practicing yoga at the beginning of the year. She came across Karmany Yoga through previously practicing with a few teachers from the studio.

“The revenue sharing process is helpful for students to not have a long term contract, so they can pay as they go,” Hutcherson said. “It all balances out in the long run and helps pay the bills.”

Karmany Yoga has also won three Best of Big D awards from 2010 to 2012.

“Having the studio, we get to meet highly trained instructors and [experience] many types of yoga,” Woods said. “It really broadens the view of yoga.”