Cowboys put Rebels down 62-7 at homecoming game

Senior fullback Parker Wilson blocks as senior running back Charles West runs the ball. Photo by Mallorie Munoz.

By Shivani Burra
staff writer
@shiviburra

Junior running back Brandon Rice scored 3 touchdowns and senior running back Charles West rushed over 100 yards as the Cowboys took Homecoming Night on a score of 62-7 over the Richland Rebels.

Compared to other games this year,  Friday night’s win was one of the highest scoring for the Cowboys,with both dominating defensive and offensive the Cowboys won by 55.

The Cowboys started off strong scoring 35 points in the first half.

The first quarter started off with an eight yard rushing touchdown by Rice followed by another touchdown by Rice to have the Cowboys on top of the Rebels 14-0. With six minutes left in the first quarter the Rebels got their first and only touchdown by senior wide receiver Adrien Itoka. Senior quarterback Skyler Bonneau threw a 48 yard pass completed to Obi Obialo for touchdown; ending the first quarter with the Cowboys up 21-7.

West started the second quarter with a 1 yard rushing touchdown and ended the quarter with a 6 yard completed for a touchdown leaving the score 35-7.

Senior fullback Parker Wilson blocks as senior running back Charles West runs the ball down the field for a touchdown during the 3rd quarter. Photo by Mallorie Munoz.

The second half had the same aggressive offensive leading to high scoring.

Bonneau threw 26 yard pass completed to junior tight end Drew Smith for a touchdown. Followed by a 12 yard rushing touchdown by Rice. Rice’s third touchdown of the night led to the monitum to finish the game off strong. At the end of the quarter Coppell was up 49-7.

The last two scoring drives for Coppell came in the fourth quarter by a three yard rushing touchdown from senior safety Jake Anderson and a two yard rushing touchdown from senior fullback Jacob Pierce. Ending the game 62-7, a win for the Cowboys.

Although there was a big scoring difference there are still things the Cowboys can improve on for later games in the season.

“One thing we did will was the defense got some turnovers, but we can always do better in not letting them extend drives on third down and things like that,” head freshman coach Clint Rushing said.

Many back-ups got to see the field during the second half of the game due to the lead Coppell had on Richland.

“When you are able to get a lot of kids in that would not normally play in a closer game it is nice, Rushing said. “Also Homecoming night is distracting so to come out and play well and make it a secure victory is great.”

It is the senior class’ last Homecoming Football game and the score and play was incredible.

“It is Homecoming night so I am happy it went out like this,” West said.”