Honor band places second in state competition

The+Texas+Music+Educators+Association+first+state+runner+up+5A+Coppell+High+School+honor+band%2C++performed+at+Boston+Symphony+Hall+during+the+annual+spring+trip+on+March+11.+Photo+Courtesy+of+Karen+Reed.+
The Texas Music Educator’s Association first state runner up 5A Coppell High School honor band, performed at Boston Symphony Hall during the annual spring trip on March 11. Photo Courtesy of Karen Reed.

By Kara Hallam

enterprise editor

@KaraHallam

Selected from over 1,500 5A honor bands in Texas, Coppell High School’s honor band claimed second place in the Texas Music Educator’s Association Honor Band Competition this past July.

The band began recording its first state runner-up winning entry in April after vigorously practicing before, during and after school.

“It was a happy surprise. I was extremely elated they came in first runner-up because, out of that many bands, to come in second is quite unbelievable,” CHS band director Scott Mason said.

The Texas Music Educator's Association first state runner up 5A Coppell High School honor band,  performed at Boston Symphony Hall during the annual spring trip on March 11. Photo Courtesy of Karen Reed.
The Texas Music Educator’s Association first state runner up 5A Coppell High School honor band performed at Boston Symphony Hall during its annual spring trip on March 11. Photo Courtesy of Karen Reed.

Sectionals practice started last year at 6:45 each morning for the woodwinds and brass practiced after school until 6:30 p.m.

“During class, we would hold very strict and rigorous band rehearsals that were very objective. We kept fixing issues with full ensemble blending, intonation and collaboration,” junior flute squad leader Annabelle Kim said.

The TMEA Honor Band Competition is held every other year for Class 5A. With Coppell in Class 6A beginning this year, the band will compete in TMEA next school year. Honor bands record its best work and send it in to be judged at region, with the opportunity to advance to area and state.

The band performed three pieces; John Philip Sousa’s ‘George Washington Bicentennial March’, William Schumann’s ‘Circus Overture’, and Karel Husa’s ‘Music for Prague’.

The literature the honor band performed was advanced for their age and on par with college level material.

The tape of these performances were sent to the region competition held on June 9. CHS honor band was one of the two in Region 20 to move on to area, a competition which encompasses not only the Dallas/Fort Worth area but also Austin and Houston. At the end of June, it was determined that CHS honor band would advance to state.

TMEA announced on July 27 that CHS honor band was first runner-up in Texas, with Marcus High School placing first.

The band was honored by the Coppell ISD board of trustees on Aug. 25 and is now steadfastly working on their its performance at the Dallas Veterans’ Day Parade in November.

“We are very fortunate to have so many talented students at Coppell that are willing to work so hard. I am very proud of all their work,” Mason said.