One Step for Eight hosts 5K for developing countries

By Gabby Sahm

Graphic courtesy of Riya Mahesh
Graphic courtesy of Riya Mahesh

On June 7, the organization One Step for Eight is hosting a 5K run to help raise money and bring awareness to diabetes in developing countries. They consist of 20 eighth graders from Coppell Middle School West that all join in  the fight against diabetes.

The 5K and Fun Run will both be held at Andy Brown Park at 7:30 in the morning.

CMS West eighth grader Riya Mahesh started One Step for Eight as an independent study project. She would go around to different elementary school classes in the district and teach them about healthy living and how it relates to diabetes.

After a couple lessons, word spread.

The money Mahesh and her classmates raise will go to the Diabetes Hands Foundation, who donate their money to diabetics in developing countries.

“My ultimate goal for One Step for Eight is to change the way people live,” Mahesh said. “A healthy lifestyle is difficult to start, but it is very rewarding.”

Through it all Mahesh just loves seeing all the involvement from her fellow students. She hopes that the work they are doing will help changes lives in both developing countries and here in Coppell.

“Many of my ambassadors are changing their lives through One Step for Eight,” Mahesh said. “I really love that they are working so hard. But really, it takes a lot of dedication.”

If you want or know anyone who would like to participate in the 5K run, you can sign up here.