From Barbies to iPhones, wishlists change

Allie Perison
Editor in Chief

Earlier this week, the kindergarten and first grade students from Cottonwood Creek came to write letters to Santa. I was privileged enough to help entertain the kids before the activity began which ended up being a somewhat eye opening experience.

As I went to different groups of children asking what they were going to ask Santa for, the response was somewhat shocking. I expected to hear that they wanted American Girl Dolls and Transformer Action Figures to greet them on Christmas morning. Instead, the majority of kids wanted iPhones, iPods and cameras.

Their wishlists were oddly similar to mine. How could a kindergartener have the needs as me? I asked one little girl who she could possibly want to call on her iPhone. She replied that she would call her two best friends, one of which already had the phone, and her mom. I actually found a website dedicated to iPhones and kids. I was baffled.

I was the same age as these children a mere ten years ago. When the holidays rolled around, I never thought about technology. Instead, I begged my mother to get me a set of Spice Girl Barbies and a Ribbon Dancer.

It blows my mind how we could not only let ourselves, but our children, get so spoiled. I am aware that we are in the era of technology, where even a seven year old can work a phone, but that by no means actually grants them the right to have one.

There were, of course, a few exceptions, scattered as they may have been, who wanted a LEGO pack and books like The Polar Express. It was these kids who managed to keep the glimmer of hope I had for the youth of Coppell, and the world for that matter, alive.