Alliant Techsystems Inc. uses their free time to give back

By Gabby Sahm

Knife throwers toss knives through the air as you walk in. You look around and see purple and green covering everything from the walls to the chairs. Around the corner, casino tables are in lines with all sorts of people dressed up playing a card game, but instead of winning money, they win tickets that go to a better cause.

On Dec. 14, Alliant Techsystems Inc. (ATK), a world wide defense contractor, held their annual Christmas party at the City Club of Fort Worth. With the theme of Mardi Gras on everything and everyone, guests enjoyed the chance to have fun while giving back.

Toys for Tots and Union Gospel Mission were the main charities that the night was dedicated to. In order to be able to attend the party, you have to bring at least one toy to donate.

Keller resident Christopher Mallon cannot think of a better way to give back. He knows that most of the children that are receiving these toys do not have parents of their own. He likes that he gets to provide a little something for them.

“I have three children of my own who I am lucky enough to provide for at Christmas,” Mallon said. “It feels good to know that I am able to help out less fortunate children at this time of year.”

Upon arrival, the guests were issued a voucher that could be redeemed for $1,000 in casino chips. Once the guests were done playing their game, they could cash in their chips for raffle tickets. A maximum of $3,000 in chips could be cashed in, which equals six raffle tickets. If a guest donated toys, they could receive extra raffle tickets. Each toy donated equaled one extra ticket. With the raffle tickets, guests were able to choose which prize they wanted to try and win in the raffle.

Arlington resident Mike Thomas brought his wife along with him. They both see as a great opportunity to “pay it forward” for the long run.

“My wife and I enjoying giving back during the holidays,” Thomas said. “We brought a football,

Monopoly and even a arts and crafts kit for a couple of young girls.”

In all, 119 toys were donated by employees and contractors. The toys range from board games to sports equipment, clothing, coloring books and various kinds of princess accessories.

Fort Worth resident Julie Penneman has a son that served five years in the Marines. She has grown a soft spot for Toys for Tots and Union Gospel, so she tries to help out in anyway she can.

“I have a soft spot for those guys and the Marines who sponsor Toy for Tots,” Penneman said. “I also support Union Gospel, because many people when they think of homeless people, they don’t think of the children that are homeless. There are children that have nothing to call their own.”

Even when the night came to a close, and guests started thinning out, their was still work to be done. Workers evenly split the toy between both charities, so they could sent out the next day.