‘Dear Santa, for Christmas I would like…’: Children from Cottonwood Creek write letters to Santa with help of Coppell High School students

By Sloane Samberson

Writing letters to Santa Claus is an annual occurrence in the lives of millions of families across the world. The joy behind constructing a wish list and sending it to the North Pole is exciting for all, even the eldest of us.

English classes from Coppell High School were ecstatic to be visited by kindergarten and first grade classes from Cottonwood Creek Elementary School on Wednesday during second period. The children came with hopes of writing and sending Santa the perfect letter composed of their biggest wishes this Christmas season.

“I remember when I was a kid, writing letters to Santa was my favorite occasion,” sophomore Hunter Fidler said. “My parents would help me spell all the words right and use proper punctuation. It was so exciting getting to see a compiled list of all the toys I hoped to get that Christmas morning.”

Senior John Herubin helps a Cottonwood Creek Elementary first grader write his letter to Santa. Cottonwood Creek Elementary students visited the high school's English classes on Wednesday. Photo by Sandy Iyer.
Senior John Herubin helps a Cottonwood Creek Elementary first grader write his letter to Santa. Cottonwood Creek Elementary students visited the high school’s English classes on Wednesday. Photo by Sandy Iyer.

This is not the first year that Coppell High School has welcomed elementary school children to write letters with their students. It has become an annual event that really puts everyone into the Christmas spirit.

“I hosted a class of first graders last year, and I hope to have a second period each year so that I can continue to participate,” Coppell High School english teacher Samantha Neal said. “It warms my heart to see my learners work with younger kids. They are so sweet and caring, and even the ones who tell me they have never been around little kids and don’t know what to do always open up to the little ones before long.”

English classes were specifically chosen to help the children write letters to Santa because one of the class’ main focuses is to help students learn how to eloquently write. It is a great way to practice the art of basic letter writing and building the ability to work with children.

“I had an absolute wonderful time helping two little girls write their letters to Santa,” sophomore Kiley Wecker said. “It brought back so many memories that reminded me of how gentle and innocent I was as a child. I couldn’t help but smile at the sight of how joyous the children were getting to be with high school students and write letters to one of the jolliest men alive.”

The children visited for 50 minutes but in that time, so much joy was spread. As the children left, the students exchanged little goodie bags with the girls and boys, then walked them to their bus for a huge surprise. The man in red himself was waiting to greet each child and receive the many letters written by the kindergarten students.

“It was so adorable seeing the looks on the children’s faces,” sophomore Sydney Lambert said. “They were in complete and utter surprise seeing the man himself waiting to give out candy and hugs!”

Students and english teachers look forward to next Christmas in hope of being chosen to host the new generation of kindergarten and first grade learners.