“If you really knew me”: Living fearless while living full

Untitled-2

By Sydney Williams

If I were to be on the “If you really knew me” reality TV show, this is what I would say. If you really knew me you would know that..

1. I love making others happy, even when I’m not

The world is so full and crowded. Everyone is going through something even if he or she is walking around and talking to their friends as if nothing is happening. They believe that acting happy and laughing fake tears will make things better. That is not true.

This is why it is vital for me to try to impact everyone I meet and make others happy even when I am not. I cannot remember a time when I was not happy. Making others happy makes me happy. I take pride in making someone laugh. Who knows, that joke and that laugh that came from them could have made their day, maybe even life. I have heard the saying “laughing can save lives” and it is true.

My happiness is second when it comes to making my family, friends and everyone else upbeat.

2. The future scares me

College, relationships and my future stress me out. It is funny, an 18-year-old senior saying she is stressed. You might be thinking, “why are you stressed, your life has not even begun” and it is true. It has not, but to think that I am about to graduate, go to college and start paying my own bills – that is my stress.

My parents always told me that after I turned 16, my life would pass me by in a blink of an eye. They were right. I cannot even remember what I had for breakfast and lunch last week and I feel as though I am still a freshman patiently waiting to become a senior. How am I supposed to remember to pay a bill or loan?

I am afraid to admit that I am not ready for the real world. Although I tell myself everyday I am, I am not, neither emotionally nor mentally. My mind is still in that phase of “my mom will take care of it” and it should not be.

3. Not talking and listening to my music is my escape

Someone who knew nothing about me would think that I was quiet.

I am that person that has a lot of friends but when I do not want to talk, I walk away and go into that “corner” and listen to my music or stands alone. I am not afraid of being alone. I have never been that way, and it is amazing because my friends understand.

In class, while everyone is talking and gossiping, I am at my computer listening to music and working on other things by myself. This is because it is my escape when I feel too into the crowd. It has nothing to deal with people be annoying or loud; it is just simply what I do.

I am sure others can relate. Music is an expression that is expressed through beats and lyrics of the artist on the record. It is an expression that the listeners are afraid to say but no worries, because the singer’s singing it to us. Music is my paradise every time I hear my favorite song or singer. I am in my “corner” because I like not talking and being in my own space. They say silence speaks louder than words, and it is probably true but for me it means that it is time for me to go to my special place and my headphones are coming with me.

4. Being different is what I crave

My motto every day is “always be yourself even when others around you are not”.

Every day I constantly see people trying hard to be someone they are not. From laughing at jokes that are not funny because someone “popular” said it, to being friends with somebody because they are in the “in crowd” and can get you into parties. From buying items you would never wear because other people are buying them. To looking at your friend, and idolizing them and wishing you were them, then eventually finding yourself becoming them-personality-wise.

These actions happen whether we realize it or not. But the one question I ask is, why be someone who already exists instead of ourselves?

Being different than everyone else is what I live for other than loving to make others happy. For people who know me well or even know my personality would probably say I am the weirdest person they know and that is OK. I rather be labeled and be called weird than normal as being normal gets boring.

Everyone’s personality is not meant to be the same. There is a billion other people in the world and what sense does it make if we tried to be like one another? What would be the point. It would be like we were clones of each other.

Being ourselves is what makes us unique.

5. My expectations are higher than I can reach

My expectations for myself have always been high ever since I started doing group projects and realized that I could have done a better job if I had done it myself.

Having high expectations of myself and others makes me who I am as a person and makes me want to try harder at everything I touch. However, it also sets me up for disappointment. I have come to the realization that not everyone has the same expectations as myself and not everyone has the same goal of being perfect or good enough.

My expectations of my life, friends, family and people are higher than what they and I can reach, but it is not a bad thing. I rather have high standards of myself and others than low standards. People are going to disappoint, sure, but why settle for less when you can settle for more.

Having high standards and goals is the best trait I have. I would not be working as hard if I did not have them and I am working hard to reach them and beyond.

I am determined to be successful and I will never make my too high expectations of myself keep me from being a millionaire. It is what is going to make me rich.