New Italian restaurant Sfizio replaces Maurizio’s

By Henriikka Niemi

With a black and white Katharine Hepburn film projected on one wall and a football game on another, Sfizio provides a completely unique dining experience for Coppell residents.

Sfizio, located in Coppell near Sprout’s and Pink Frosting on Denton Tap, has combined authentic style Italian food with a modern concept. The restaurant is split into a choir room on the left side with a projected movie playing silently on the wall and ornate decorations hanging around the room and a sports bar on the right. When I sat down to eat, there was an NFL game playing in the sports bar, although it was not too loud so that it would be disruptive.

Photo by Regan Sullivan
Photo by Regan Sullivan

The menu features everything from flatbreads, pizza and pasta to risotto and seafood dishes. Most of the dishes were intricate with many ingredients, but there was also traditional spaghetti and meatballs and a make your own pizza option for more picky eaters.

The classic bruschetta with tomato, mozzarella and olive oil could be substituted for or combined with mushroom or roasted bell pepper bruschetta. The bread was perfectly crispy on the outside and soft and warm on the inside with a generous amount of toppings.

For a relatively slow Monday night, service was a little slow to start, but once appetizers came out, the entrees quickly followed.

The first smoked salmon flatbread came out slightly burnt and the next had a shrunken portion size. What I assumed to be the owner of the restaurant offered to replace the flatbread with a different meal, but we opted to remove it completely from the check to save time. The spaghetti and meatballs dish was better, with a portion size that was perfect for an entree.

Although the server was not very talkative, our drinks were always full and our needs were attended to.

Sfizio is closed on Sundays and has a split schedule from Monday through Friday, open 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. for lunch and 4:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. for dinner. Only dinner is offered on Saturday. Walk ins are welcome any day of the week.

Overall, Sfizio strays from the traditional sit down Italian restaurant but offers diverse experiences for customers through their choir room, sports bar, and menu choices.