• Coppell ISD is closed for spring break. Coppell Student Media publishing resumes March 18.

Q&A: No excuse for drug abuse celebrates drug prevention

By Kara Hallam

Last week, Coppell High School halls were filled with the color red, nerds, rock stars, boots and school spirit all in support of drug prevention. Students were more than excited to get dressed up for Red Ribbon Week.

Sophomore Veena Suthendran was an active participant in the week’s theme day festivities.

Q: Why do you dress up for Red Ribbon Week?

A: I like the themes, and I feel like it is an easy way to support a great cause. It is always really fun to get to plan out outfits with your friends and dress crazy with them and go to school in them. It is kind of like a contest to see who can out do each other with the craziest outfit.

Q: How do you stay away from drugs?

Sophomore Veena Suthendran celebrates red ribbon week this past Friday by wearing a CHS Tennis shirt on spirit day.

A: I keep my friend group to people who don’t do destructive things. I know I would always say no to drugs if anyone offered. I just know which crowds to stay away from. I think students should keep in mind that drugs will do more harm than good and that they should avoid them at all cost because students can get easily addicted to them.

Q: What kind of impact do you think Red Ribbon Week has on the school?

A: I think Red Ribbon Week is an opportunity for the school to come together and go against drugs. By dressing up in these cute themes we are taking a stand altogether in a fun and creative way. Plus it is just lots of fun.

Q: How does your participation help prevent drug abuse?

A: It informs the people around me that drugs are not a good thing. Even if you just want to dress up, everyone knows at least it is for Red Ribbon Week which is for drug prevention, so there is always some kind of awareness that you are supporting the cause for it. Also, as a community, we are standing up against drugs and making an impact by joining together and dressing up for it. It makes a statement that many individuals can come together to take a stand.

Q: What was your favorite day?

A: Definitely Nerd day because I think the nerd glasses are so cute. I like suspenders and knee high socks with button down shirts and all the things that would be considered nerdy. Plus on that day I coordinated my outfit with a few of my friends, and we were all matching which was a lot of fun.

Q: How did you come up with your outfit?

A: I dressed up on theme days based off of what I had in my closet. I like to get into the theme as much as possible but I do not want to buy anything for it.

Q: How does red ribbon week help strengthen CHS’s community feel?

A: Everyone gets a chance to dress up and do something as a community and take a stand together against drugs.