Coppell pounds Marauders, 41-3

By John Loop
Sports Editor

The temperature was low, but the Coppell Cowboys (6-1, 3-0 in District 5-5A) brought the heat on both sides of the ball, holding Flower Mound Marcus (2-6, 1-2) to a meek three points in their 41-3 win on Friday night. With the win, Coppell sealed a berth in the 5A state playoffs.

Senior defensive end John Herubin and the Cowboy defense forced Marcus to earn every yard. The Marauders offense was limited to 150 yards of total offense.

“This was a good test of our physicality,” Herubin said. “They just ran the ball all night, packed the line with two tight ends, and tried to mash us as much as they could.”

The majority of  offensive production, however, experienced a shift on Friday. Junior quarterback Skyler Bonneau finished 9-of-12 for 143 yards and added two scoring tosses to his season total. With each coming week, Bonneau has become stronger and more confident in his passing ability. The junior has not thrown an interception since Allen defeated Coppell in Week 5.

Still, the running game for Coppell was just as much a factor as it always as been. Senior Gavin McDaniel, junior Charles West and sophomore Brandon Rice gave the Marauders a taste of their own medicine all night, compiling 234 rush yards. Rice was responsible for three scores while junior fullback Parker Wilson rushed for his first score of the year.

Rice now has as many touchdowns in the last three weeks as West and McDaniel have scored individually over the course of the season. Add in the fact that Rice has only really gotten substantial playing time in these last three games, and that makes this feat even more amazing.

“[Rice] hits the hole fast and gets through it,” senior offensive tackle Bill Weber said. “He jumps in and out. You’ll be on the ground with your guy and you’ll look up and he’s breaking 20 tackles up field.”

Coppell plays in their final home game of the season next Friday against the Denton Ryan Raiders. For the seniors, it will be their final time to shine in front of the home crowd will be bittersweet.