Administration cracks down on school dress code

By George Fairchild

It seems the length of our shorts is once again a hot button issue as the administration enforces a crackdown on school dress code.  Students have been summoned in to the office daily as the AP’s patrol the halls and class room looking for violations of dress code.

“There is a certain expectation that our community has when the send their kids to school” said Mr. Jasso.  “We try and uphold the conservative nature of our community.”

Many students complain that the length of their shorts or the way they dress does not affect the learning environment but most students do not realize the reasons behind the dress code and how fortunate we are not to have an even stricter dress code.

Parents expect students at CHS to be held to the same core values that are observed at home.  School is designed to prepare students for the real world and if a student were to show up to a job in short shorts and a tank top that would not be acceptable.  The issue is a decency one and as Mr. Jasso said “Maybe we went off to summer and we don’t remember it as well.”  Now that the students have returned from a relaxing summer of tank tops and short shorts it is important to transition back into the school atmosphere and dress appropriately in order to encourage a strong learning environment

Students also fail to realize that they are very fortunate compared to many school districts.  For one there are no school uniforms.  “as far as this community I have not considered getting stricter with the dress code because we are very fortunate that you guys are very respectful and very good at following the rules for the most part so we can give you more freedoms than many schools in the area.”

Not only do we not have a school uniform but many schools in California require stricter dress codes such as the belt line must be exposed to make sure no guns are concealed.  Coppell is safe enough that the administration need not put in place such a rule.

For all the complaining about dress code that goes on at school students need to take the time to think about why the dress code is put in place and be thankful that we do not live somewhere with a much stricter dress code.

1