December brings a surge of Christmas decorations

By Julia Kim

I often find myself mesmerized by the lights that illuminate the streets at night, but not by your typical street lamps. I’m referring to the Christmas lights put up every year at just about this time time of year, the holiday season. The lights that not only attract my eyes but also assist in brightening dark streets.

Similar to previous years, I’ve seen the earliest of decorations out in October, lights explicitly displayed even as early as Halloween. I have a profound respect for the individuals who participate in covering their houses with lights, whether through paying for the decorations or putting them up themselves, partially because my parents have never participated in such festivities.

Even without much effort, individuals can transform a bare house into a public showing with the addition of just a few lights. I see quite a few homes applying simplicity with lights tracing the outline of the frame along the roof. Yet, there are those that participate in distinguishing their homes from the majority with the addition of a mass of colorful lights that surround not only the house but also bushes and trees. Some even go as far as buying lights that flash.

To see some examples, click here.