Juniors organize Run for Life in Blackwell’s memory

Juniors organize Run for Life in Blackwells memory

By Christina Burke
Features Editor

Photo courtesy George Fairchild.
Photo courtesy George Fairchild.

When the AP English Language and Composition classes for juniors were presented with a semester long project benefiting humanitarian aid organizations, students reflected upon their sympathies and past experiences while finding topics to focus on.

A group under the instruction of teacher Tracy Henson has exceeded expectations for a cause that holds a heavy burden on their hearts- suicide prevention.

The community was upset by the death of Coppell High School senior Jonah Blackwell last October, and a group of Blackwell’s friends have come together to benefit the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, AFSP, for their humanitarian aid project.

“This cause stuck out to us because of the loss of our friend Jonah Blackwell,” junior Christian Reyna said. “All of this is for his memory and to prevent other people from dying the way he did.”

The ‘Run for Life 5K’ is scheduled for 8 a.m. on May 18 at Andy Brown Park as a fundraiser benefiting the AFSP. The entry fee including a T-shirt is $25 for early registration until May 1 when the price increased to $30. The group of juniors is hoping the cause will generate many willing participants in the community in Blackwell’s name who are willing to donate to suicide prevention.

“The race will give all the donations and money to AFSP,” junior Hannah Jiao said.  “Because the race is in [Blackwell’s] honor, we chose this organization to help others who are or were struggling with suicide or depression.”

Though the requirements for setting up a 5K are extensive, the group was willing to take the challenge.

“Everyone I asked said that it was really hard and a lot of work [to organize a 5K]. They were right,” group leader junior George Fairchild said. “It has taken months of tedious work emailing the city and the AFSP, calling people about setting it all up. Everything else you need for a race is proving to be hard work, but it will all be worth it when we are able to donate a lot of money in honor of Jonah. I know he would be proud.”

Collaborating in and outside of class, the group has worked tediously to market its 5K to ensure the success of their endeavor among fellow students and members of the Coppell community.

“Everyone in the group was responsible for getting at least two sponsors and signing up at least 10 people, and everyone has met those expectations,” Fairchild said. “[Reyna and Jiao] were in charge of printing off flyers and posting them around the school and at New Tech. [CHS juniors] Peyton Kingsley and Cole Sander worked together to come up with the amazing design for the shirt as well as making sure all of our sponsors names were on the back of the shirt.”

Henson has been impressed with the professionalism her students have displayed while organizing the race. Although she is there for assistance, the group has proven self-motivated and efficient.

“I’ve just been a sounding board,” Henson said. “I help make sure they aren’t leaving any holes in their plan, but they have done most of it completely on their own. This cause is very meaningful to them, and they have done a great job.”

The group’s success so far is evident with the level of student interest. Between the flyers, posters and verbal announcements, friends of Blackwell have been enthusiastic about the idea.

“I am glad I can participate in the 5K,” junior Sarah Gibbons said. “Jonah was my teammate on cross country and I’m running in remembrance of him. This is for a really great cause and deserves the feedback it’s getting.”

With positive feedback from the community, the group is hoping the event will be a monumental success for their friend Blackwell that will reach beyond the walls of their English classroom.

“We’re hoping for a big turnout,” Jiao said. “The community has been helping us turn this into a big event, and we hope that many will come out and support a cause that is real and hits close to home.”

Registration forms for the ‘Run for Life 5K’ are available in cross country coach Roxanne Farris’ office in the field house and Henson’s room C213. All forms must be returned to Henson’s room and checks made out to ‘Run for Life 5K’.

Registration on the day of the race will begin at 7 a.m. and T-shirts will be first come first serve. For more information email [email protected].

4