Band students head to annual UIL competition this week

CHS band students compete at UIL this week.  Graphic by Jordan Bickham.
CHS band students compete at UIL this week. Graphic by Jordan Bickham.

CHS band students compete at UIL this week.  Graphic by Jordan Bickham.By Jordan Bickham

This past week, Coppell band students have been in and out of the building as they go through their UIL concert band competition performances.

UIL is an annual competition in which all five bands participate in separately.  Within this competition, each band is responsible for performing the pieces they have been working on for the past few weeks.  Typically they perform two to three pieces that range in length and difficulty depending on the band.  They perform these pieces in front of a panel of judges and, once they conclude, are moved to another room for the sight-reading portion of the competition.

Here, each student is given a folder that holds a piece of music that they have never seen before.  They are given a few minutes to look at this piece in silence and have their director go through it with them to try and better understand it.  After that short time frame, they must perform the piece in front of another panel of judges.

Overall, the competition is difficult and long, but CHS is known for doing extremely well throughout both parts of their performance.  Band students from honor band (first band) will be the last to perform as they will compete tomorrow.  The other four bands have been competing the past two days.  You can learn more about the band program and the outcome of their performances at the CHS Band Boosters website.

Make sure to wish all the band students good luck as they compete this week!