Academy students portray Gatsby for project

By Christina Burke
Features Editor

While many students are highly anticipating Baz Luhrmann’s film ‘The Great Gatsby’ in theaters this May, there are several other versions of the film in the works- by students that is.

The Academies at Coppell High School have become known for mixing up the typical CHS curriculum over the years, and now with the junior class reading ‘The Great Gatsby’ by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Academy English teacher Amy Wilkinson looked for the most creative way possible for students to showcase their understanding of the 1920s literature.

Wilkinson decided to have her students use their creative ability to the fullest be assigning them to film a ‘Gatsby’ trailer instead of writing an essay or completing a traditional project. Students from all three academies compiled themselves into groups to make their movie trailers with limited requirments including the feel of the 1920s. This project allowed students the power of creativity to present the best products possible.

“I have really enjoyed this project because it allows us to be creative without really be constricted by any guidelines,” junior Francesca Graham said.

Be sure to look out for all versions of ‘Gatsby’ premiering this Spring including the Academy students’ and Luhrmann’s.