Underclassmen to learn about distracted driving

By Nikki Dabney

Every other year, upperclassmen participate in Shattered Dreams, a program that stimulates a drunk driving accident and is designed to educate students, parents, and the community about the serious issue of underage drinking and driving.

While Shattered Dream is reserved for upperclassmen, who are attending prom, an occasion which teenagers are more likely to consume alcohol, underclassmen participate in a distracted driving presentation of their own.

Freshmen and sophomore students will participate in a program on Wednesday, March 27th, on the dangers of distracted driving – particularly texting and driving.

Attorney Todd Clement, voted Best Personal Injury Lawyer in 2009, 2011 and 2012 by D Magazine will be leading the program and speaking about his experience with the consequences of distracted driving. Joining Clement will be two local Coppell families who have been directly affected as a result of distracted driving and have suffered the tragic loss of a family member.

The parents of Travis Masters, a former student who graduated in 2007 will be speaking about their son and his fatal accident caused by him texting and driving. Also, the mother of senior Betsy Dean will share about her husband who died from an accident cause by a distracted driver.

The program will begin at 1 p.m. and parents are welcome to attend.