Students celebrate Korea’s Pepero Day

This past Wednesday, 11/11, marked national holiday Veteran’s Day but also Pepero Day.

Pepero, a popular Korean snack, are thin pretzels traditionally covered in chocolate, and Pepero Day -distinguished by 11/11’s Pepero stick-shaped date- is celebrated in South Korea almost like the American Valentine’s Day where friends give friends Pepero.

Pepero’s been a popular snack as long as I can remember. Peers used to bring it to class in elementary school for snack-time, and I’ve seen the cookie stick at Borders Bookstore and of course at H-Mart. So I was not surprised to find students at CHS celebrating Pepero Day, despite the fact that the holiday is almost exclusively celebrated in Korea.

Korean culture is diffusing quickly into ours here in America, Texas, Dallas, Coppell and more noticeably, Coppell High School. The increasing popularity of Super H-Mart, Yogurt Land and Mozart Cafe among CHS students of all ethnic backgrounds is proof of this cultural diffusion. Furthermore, Korean pop culture is making its way into American society; music, clothes and shoes, those cute pictures you can get at H-Mart are all part of this small flip in culture.

Maybe it’s because they’re small and fun to eat, or because they come in more than 10 tasty flavors, or maybe because they’re foreign but Pepero snacks are irresistible. So share them with a friend, be it tonight, tomorrow, or the next Pepero Day.

And hope you had a happy Pepero Day!

1