Is Coppell High School’s SADD coming to an end?

By Ashley Attanucci

At a recent Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) meeting members were shocked to hear that this year may be the last for the club.

SADD sponsor of over 20 years Spanish teacher Malinda Seger has announced her resignation with CHS. Having been relocated to Houston due to her husband’s job, Mrs. Seger plans to meet her husband in Houston with her children at the end of the school year. So who will be the new sponsor of the club?

Despite an early and tireless effort to find a new sponsor for the club through e-mails from Mrs. Seger and word of mouth from students to teachers, nobody has yet volunteered to step up the plate as 2010-2011 SADD Club sponsor.

“I don’t know how likely it is [that we’ll find a new sponsor],” President Kelly Mason said.

“Her friends and teachers don’t have the time to be a SADD sponsor but I’m hoping they find someone because SADD is a really good club.”

Coppell High School’s SADD club, part of a national organization, handles Red Ribbon Week and Shattered Dreams for the high school, as well as month-to-month themes such as this month’s Smoke Out Challenge.

Many club members fear the lack of a positive influence passed to CHS students as a result of the potential loss of SADD.

“I think the school won’t get as much awareness as they do now. We do something every month, like this month is about smoking and the effects of it, so students won’t get info that we give out monthly if SADD ends,” Mason said.

“I think [the impact of SADD’s end] could be really negative because there won’t be a group of people as proactive about events like Shattered Dreams and Red Ribbon Week as we are,” Vice President Kyle Kirby said.

First-year member Ana Niño expresses her sentiments as well.

“I was surprised at the fact that no one was willing to take the heir; I don’t know if it’s a matter that teachers are too intimidated or afraid for the job but they should be eager to sponsor a club that will positively impact students lives,” Niño said.

Current members of the club are hopeful of participating in the club next year with as great as a sponsor as Mrs. Seger.

“I really hope that it is preserved because this club although it may be small in size has a long-lasting impact on the students at CHS, whether it’s glancing at a poster or hearing an announcement over the intercom. It’s important that we have a club that students like this that students can lean back on with support and a positive influence that students may not be getting at home.”

3