Holiday tips to reduce waste

By Corrina Taylor

Exterior lights on houses shine through the night as trees in the window glisten with holiday cheer. Presents underneath the tree delicately wrapped resemble the Christmas season.

Although this is a beautiful and cheerful season it is also the most wasteful. The Environmental Protection Agency approximates that Americans dispose of 25 percent more trash during the holiday season. There are many different measures that residents can take to help keep Coppell beautiful.

Christmas trees are a big waste, this is why artificial trees are recommended or if a real tree is used the city has a pickup service that will pick up the tree and recycle it for mulch and compost. Reusable dishes and containers for presents are also great ways to prevent waste, there is even recycled wrapping paper available in stores.

As for the beautiful Christmas lights we all know and love keeping them on throughout the night is a big waste of electricity, this is why the city recommends a timer for exterior lights that will conserve energy and help the lights last.

Help make this Christmas season more environmental friendly while enjoying the season with family and friends.