CHS welcomes Poullard to Spanish department

Poullard began his first year at CHS in August. Photo by Mia Ford.

By Elizabeth Sims

A new, yet familiar, face joined the Coppell High School language department for the 2012-2013 school year. Spanish teacher Anthony Poullard moved from Coppell Middle School West to fill the position of Academy Spanish teacher.

Poullard was informed about the opening from former Academy Spanish teacher, Creighton Hulse, who left the position to become an educator in China, and decided to accept the job.

“I thought it would be a really cool challenge and a unique opportunity to impact a really cool group of students,” Poullard said. “I can teach them in a different way, and do some of the things I have always wanted to do to make Spanish more relevant for them.”

This desire to introduce new teaching methods and his fresh ideas has language department lead Holly Whiting excited to work with Poullard.

“Señor Poullard is one of the most enthusiastic teachers I have met,” Whiting said. “His enthusiasm is contagious not only to the students but the staff. We are lucky to have him.”

After leading a group of Spanish students from all over the world on a community service trip to Peru over the summer, Poullard has plans to engage his students in real world connections.

“In my Spanish classes, my students have an academic service learning component that pairs them with an organization, or anything that connects to their Academy interests, and they are going to spend a certain amount of time with them in Spanish,” Poullard said. “Whatever it takes to get them using the language and seeing how it applies outside.”

His interest in bringing his experiences into the classroom gives Whiting hope that the students will be able to understand some of the cultural aspects of the language.

“His experience travelling to South America that he is able to share with us and the students brings a lot of culture to the classroom as well,” Whiting said.

What excites Poullard about moving up to teach high school level Spanish is the opportunity to teach some of his former students.

“The way I look at it is that I just switched classrooms because I get to see all my old students,” Poullard said.

His students share in his enthusiasm for the year and look forward to learning from their former teacher.

“It is kind of weird and kind of cool to have him again,” said sophomore Bethany Tallon, who had Poullard as her eighth grade Spanish teacher. “I already know what his teaching is like and I am used to it. I am looking forward to his class and all the learning games and projects.”

Ultimately, Poullard has high aspirations for this year and looks forward to working with his students to help them apply what they are learning.

“I do not think anyone can fill Señor Hulse’s shoes. He was a great teacher and a great colleague,” Poullard said. “I can not fill his shoes, but what I want to do is provide an opportunity for students to leave Spanish III confident using the language.”

With big plans for his Academy Spanish classes, Poullard and his students are sure to have an exciting year ahead of them.