Reflections of a first year staffer

By John Loop

About this time last year, I was salivating over the fact that I would be writing for the award-winning Coppell High School newspaper. Little did I know what I had gotten myself into.

The first two weeks of class were pretty nerve-wracking, considering I had only completed one six weeks worth of writing as a freshman in the EMAC Academy Intro to Mass Media elective class.

As I wrote my first story, I promptly tried to get an interview from Coach McBride on game day (bad idea).I also participated in probably the most awkward interview of my newspaper career at lunch with a football player. Even after that, the story still turned out pretty good.

I’ve learned a lot this year, including the importance of time, whether it be in the sense of reporting or relative to deadlines. All in all, this profession, this field of study, is centered around time, and if you don’t have those essential time management  skills, it will cost you your job.

After experiencing life on a publication for a full year, I can honestly say it was nothing like I expected. Reporting news nobody knows is what I live for. Being on staff has also created the opportunity to meet new friends and embrace my passion for sports writing at the same time.

For those seniors who are leaving us after good years of hard work and dedication, good luck to you in your future. I know you will continue to do great things in the world after you leave the walls of CHS.

For those who will be joining us next year, come in on the first day of school ready to work.