College roommate search for guys gets weird, real weird

By Chris Reagan

For seniors the year is winding down and the preparations for college have begun. On the list for many to complete is finding the roommate they will spend the next year with.

It’s difficult for students, like me, that know no one at their university of choice and are forced to have a randomly assigned roommate.

For girls this is easy because somehow many of them instantly become best friends and it makes me jealous. For guys, the process takes a little more effort and is a lot more awkward.

The only way I can think of describing how the process works for many guys is to compare it to dating. I feel like every time I e-mail my roommate about anything I’m about to ask him out.

The only thing we have to figure out is who is bringing the TV and the X-box but still the anxiety of living with someone I still know nothing about is getting to me. I know nothing about my roommate for next year and likely will not know much more by the time I move in in August.

To add to the difficulty my roommate doesn’t have a Facebook so I couldn’t tell you what he even looks like, much less what he’s into. His name is Michael and that is the extent of my knowledge.