Get graduation gifts for less green

By Michelle Pitcher
Editor-in-Chief

Disclaimer: the following post contains mention of glitter and puffy paint. Boys proceed with caution.

It has come to my attention over the past few years that there are two times a year in which my wallet gets very light very quickly. One of these is the season of graduation parties, and it is upon us again. Being frugal by nature, I have come up with a few ideas for grad gifts that won’t have you eating rice and beans for the next three months.

I know we’re all part of the Pinterest-inspired DIY craze, but oftentimes those crafts require more skill and time than we possess. However, there are several tried-and-true gifts that require little to know artistic ability.

Many soon-to-be freshmen are looking for ways to personalize their dorms, and homemade decorations can add personality to their space. Find a few good pictures of the two of you, pair them with some nice paper and stickers, and stick the whole thing in a scrapbook frame. Viola! You’ll be loved and remembered forever. Or maybe try your hand at sewing. Pillows and throw blankets are not only cute, but the functionality will outweigh any measure of poor craftsmanship. Paint a picture. Decorate picture frames and book ends and pencil holders. Skip spending $50 on embroidered towels and go for something that will last.

1