Senior year captured through Draper’s lens

Senior year captured through Drapers lens

By Kara Adkins
Online Copy Editor

Round-Up yearbook editor-in-chief Allison Draper plans to attend the University of Arkansas this fall where she hopes to continue yearbook. Photo by Brian Hwu.

A snap shot of senior year through Allison Draper’s lens has been hectic, fast paced and exciting as she took on the responsibilities of Round-Up yearbook editor-in-chief. As her year concludes and the final product gets placed into the hands of Coppell High School students, she could not be more proud of what she has helped create.

Draper was not always interested in photography, but her intrigue took off when her father began his own photography business, Winning Shot Photography. From that point on, it was obvious the love of photography ran in the family.

“I first became interested when my father started his photography business,” Draper said. “He would use me as a model to test things out and he would ask me to help him with sporting events and I began to really like it.”

It is not only her natural skill that landed her the spot as editor though. Besides the fact she could snap a great photo, Draper’s attitude and personality stood out amongst the rest of the staff.

“Allison knows how to take charge and motivate us, there were days I just didn’t want to work and I would see Allison and it would make me want to work because she was always so busy and working so hard on the yearbook,” senior staff member Allie Quill said. “She is a great example for the rest of the staff.”

However, even with a positive attitude, editor-in-chief of the yearbook still comes with challenges. As the year developed Draper learned that perseverance pays off in a big way and in the end even the most stressful situations are worth it.

Draper's interest in photography began when her father began his own photography business, Winning Shot Photography. Photo by Brian Hwu.

“I would say that each day is a new day and you get stressed out and sometimes you wish you weren’t in that position but in the end you cant wait for the yearbook to come out and see everything you made and all of your hard work because its something people actually keep,” Draper said. “I would just say stick with it because it’s something great.”

This advice hit home with junior Jennifer Carrington, who will be editor-in-chief of next year’s yearbook. She believes it will be hard to follow in Drapers footsteps, but a challenge she is willing to take.

“She is always on top of everything and she never procrastinates so next year will be hard for me just because she was such a great editor,” Carrington said.

Next year Draper plans to attend the University of Arkansas where she is looking forward to being on the yearbook staff and hopefully one day will get to open up a photography business similar to her father’s. But even with big plans ahead of her, she will still miss yearbook class and how it has brought her to this point.

“I think in college it wont be as friendly of an environment, the staff this year is like a family and we spend a lot of time together where as in college its more like I do it by myself on my own time and so I’m going to miss the vibe and sense of community” Draper said.

Even though Draper will miss her position as editor, Round-Up adviser Rachel Pellegrino is right there with her. Since Pellegrino was on maternity leave for a portion of this year, she appreciates Drapers ability to take charge and lead even when she wasn’t there.

“Allison is an over achiever, she knows what needs to be done and that’s what you need in a leader,” Pellegrino said. “She is friendly with her friends but she knows when its time to be serious, and she does it with a smile. Its hard for others to balance being a leader and a friend but you have to do both, and somebody who is good at that has people like them but also people listen to them as a leader.”

Even though its time to wave goodbye to the yearbook family, Draper has created a keepsake that will be looked upon for years to come and it will always remind her of her great contribution to the senior class.