Beck, Kalev receive scholarships as year draws to a close

By Kristen Shepard
As the school year ends for the class of 2012, scholarships are being awarded as seniors prepare to make the transition to college life. An even bigger transition, though, will be required as the students adjust to the financial demands of college tuition.
For Valedictorian Haley Beck and Salutatorian Martin Kalev, receiving a scholarship will provide great assistance in college. Haley Beck was selected as a finalist for the Davey O’Brien High School Senior Scholarship. This award is not only significant because of it’s financial value, but because of it’s prestige. Several students from around the Dallas/Fort Worth area are selected as finalist based on their community involvement and academic merit.
Beck was recognized as a finalist, and impressed the committee with her extensive resume. Beck is a two year letterman and senior captain for the Coppell Cross Country team and worked over the summer performing research at UT Southwestern. She even published her findings in a collaborative manuscript titled “A Novel Tubulin-Binding Agent BPR0L075 Exhibits Vascular-Disrupting Activity.” Though the award was taken by Will Squires from Cistercian Preparatory, Haley Beck received $1,000 as a finalist. This fall, Haley Beck will be attending Princeton University.
Similarly, on April 22, Martin Kalev was awarded a scholarship from the Irving Arts Association totaling $1,000. Selected by the President of the Irving Arts Association, Martin Kalev is an IB student who is also a standout student in AP Art. Martin Kalev was accepted into Stanford and plans to attend the university in the fall.