EMAC Academy holds the second film showcase of this year

By Jordan Bickham

Tomorrow, the Emerging Media and Communications (EMAC) Academy students will be spending an entire today polishing up their journalism skills at the second short film showcase this year.  Students will be expected to participate the entire school day, working on various media components that will be presented at the end of the day, after awards, to their fellow academy students.

The assignment is to produce a two to three minute short film, a 30-second trailer, a photo gallery of 5-7 behind the scenes photographs, a movie poster for the short film and tweets that hit Twitter every 30 minutes.  While this seems like a lot of work, most of the students have no trouble getting everything done due to all the experience they have gained through being a part of the academy.  Last year, students worked on the Capstone project for weeks and earlier this year they had another showcase similar to this one.

The most difficult part of the project is determining the topic of the film, which they have to plan beforehand to save time.  For the film, the only required prop is a pencil and the prompt is “The End of the Line.”  While this may seem very ominous, most students already have a clear, detailed idea of what they will be preparing tomorrow.

You can see all these creative short films on YouTube and on the Academy’s WordPress website.  You can also keep up with all the students’ Twitter updates at the academy’s official Twitter page.