Journalists removed from endangered species list

By Michelle Pitcher
Editor-in-Chief

Our Web Master Wren Culp infamously claimed at last year’s JEA/NSPA High School Journalism convention that newspapers will be dead in 50 years.

While Mr. Culp may have accepted this as fact, I will continue to deny the claim that newspapers and formal news outlets are becoming obsolete.

When President Obama gives a speech, anyone who is truly looking to be informed will not be scrolling through the “SOTU2012” hashtag on twitter; they will be tuned in to a news station, receiving full and accurate coverage. In the event of a natural disaster, no one is glued to their facebook newsfeed in order to remain up to date on the path of the destruction. As long as things happen in the world, there will need to be people whose job it is to seek out the truth.

It is often said that journalism is the first draft of history, and I believe this to be true. The fact that I can go back and see the front page of the New York Times after the 9/11 attack proves that there will always be a place for primary sources.

Our growing access to technology has not triggered a decrease in our desire for knowledge; if anything, we are more information-hungry than we have ever been.

1