Cancer efforts come full circle with Relay For Life

By Jay Carroll

Certain annual events have different meanings to different people. For Coppell High School English teacher Laura Salamone, a cancer survivor, this event is Relay for Life.

“My experience with cancer has really changed my perspective on life,” Salamone said “I appreciate the little things now, and I am living a healthier life.”

Salamone says she will be participating in Relay For Life every year after her experience with cancer.

Coppell’s Relay For Life will be held on April 28, at Wagon Wheel Park. Students and residents of Coppell will be participating in the annual event. There will be 43 teams and approximately 700 participants. The participants have raised over $35,000 so far and are still raising more money.

Relay For Life was created in 1985 when a man name Dr. Gordy Klatt ran 83 miles around a track for 24 hours. This was an attempt to raise money for the American Cancer Society, and after that day, it caught on and became a nationwide event.

There are about 10 teams consisting of Coppell High School students, each one raising money for this year’s event. The Public Service Academy (PSA) is one team that will be representing CHS in the Relay For Life, led by English teacher Laura Salamone.

“PSA made a team last year because one of the PSA teachers, Mrs. Salamone, had cancer,” sophomore PSA students Cassidy Packer said. “So that is why we did it last year, and we are going to make it a tradition.”

Relay For Life offers students an opportunity to get involved with the community. Students can buy luminarias to honor someone who is fighting cancer, has died from cancer or has defeated cancer.

“The luminarias will have candles and sand in them, and will light up the track at night,” Youth Involvement chair and art teacher Elsa Reynolds said. “It makes them realize how many people actually have cancer.”

Teams are setting goals for how much they plan to raise and participants can also stay over-night in tents at Wagon Wheel Park to celebrate and raise awareness about cancer – for students and adults.

“Relay For Life is just a great way to raise money and awareness around the school and community of Coppell,” Health Science teacher Ray Pool said.

Relay For Life would like each individual participating in a local Relay For Life to raise at least $100 for the fight against cancer.

“Most of the money goes towards research,” Reynolds said. “But some of it goes to help women who cannot afford treatment.”

If you decide to participate, you can join a team and go online and track how much money you, your team and other people have raised for cancer.

“It’s a great way to get involved with the community and help fight cancer,” Packer said.